prevent NDRs for sieve-forwarded emails

mj

prevent NDRs for sieve-forwarded emails

mj
Hi,

Here is our situation:

We have an email server at ourdomain.com where some folks setup a sieve
redirect to other mailboxes.

Now, consider the case where a [hidden email] sends an email to
our [hidden email], and it is sieve-forwarded to [hidden email].

But suppose the [hidden email] mailbox no longer exists: an NDR
is generated at forwarddomain.com. Currently this NDR is sent back all
the way to the original sender [hidden email].

However, the message *was* in fact successfully delivered to our mailbox
[hidden email], and we would like to prevent NDRs for these
sieve-forwarded messages.

Is there a way to achieve this?

If it helps: the sieve-forwards are mostly to very few foreign domains,
so perhaps we could filter NDRs at some stage, based on coming-from
domain..?

Best regards,
MJ

Re: prevent NDRs for sieve-forwarded emails

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 19.04.18 09:08, mj wrote:

>Here is our situation:
>
>We have an email server at ourdomain.com where some folks setup a
>sieve redirect to other mailboxes.
>
>Now, consider the case where a [hidden email] sends an email
>to our [hidden email], and it is sieve-forwarded to
>[hidden email].
>
>But suppose the [hidden email] mailbox no longer exists: an
>NDR is generated at forwarddomain.com. Currently this NDR is sent
>back all the way to the original sender [hidden email].
>
>However, the message *was* in fact successfully delivered to our
>mailbox [hidden email], and we would like to prevent NDRs for
>these sieve-forwarded messages.
>
>Is there a way to achieve this?

rewriting sender of the forwarded mail in the SRS
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme) way and delivering
all the mail to rewritten sender to someone who is able to fix or remove
such forwarding.

I would consider delivering mail back to the mailbox of [hidden email]
or maybe [hidden email]

Spam = (S)tupid (P)eople's (A)dvertising (M)ethod
mj

Re: prevent NDRs for sieve-forwarded emails

mj
Thanks for your reply.

On 04/19/2018 02:51 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> rewriting sender of the forwarded mail in the SRS
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Rewriting_Scheme) way and delivering
> all the mail to rewritten sender to someone who is able to fix or remove
> such forwarding.
>
> I would consider delivering mail back to the mailbox of [hidden email]
> or maybe [hidden email]

So, if I understand correctly, I would set something like:

sieve_redirect_envelope_from = "<[hidden email]>"
(dovecot.conf)

Thanks again!

MJ