proving that smtpd.conf is being read

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

proving that smtpd.conf is being read

Jay G. Scott

i hope i've come to the right list for this.  i didn't think
this was a "developer" issue.

trying to set up:
solaris 10
postfix-2.6.2 w/ tls, compiled from source
cyrus-sasl-2.1.23, compiled from source

the postfix-tls part was/is working.  i can send/recv mail
and it has the tls header in it.  i don't think auth is working
since i don't see a header indicating such.  i have a lot of
questions.  i'm going to ask them one at a time, and maybe
i'll figure out some for myself along the way.

first, i'd like to verify that the configuration files i'm supposed
to have are in the right places.  (and even if the auth is somehow
working and i just can't tell it, i'd still like to know for sure
that this config file is doing what it should.)

---------------------
/etc/postfix/main.cf snippet:
---------------------

smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
now,
        "smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd"
means this (right?):
when cyrus-sasl-2.1.23 was configged:
configure --sysconfdir=/some/path/etc
smtpd_sasl_path ==>  /some/path/etc/smtpd.conf
        right?
because i don't see that being opened.  i truss saslauthd on startup:

jmail1# truss -f -o /tmp/fff $TOP/sbin/saslauthd -a shadow -m /var/run/saslauthdjmail1# grep open /tmp/fff
11465:  open("/var/ld/ld.config", O_RDONLY)             Err#2 ENOENT
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libgss.so.1", O_RDONLY)          = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libresolv.so.2", O_RDONLY)       = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1", O_RDONLY)       = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libnsl.so.1", O_RDONLY)          = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libpam.so.1", O_RDONLY)          = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libc.so.1", O_RDONLY)            = 3
11465:  open("/usr/lib/libcmd.so.1", O_RDONLY)          = 3
11465:  open("/var/run/saslauthd/saslauthd.pid.lock", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 01204) = 3
11465:  open("/var/run/saslauthd/mux.accept", O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC, 0600) = 6
11466:  open("/dev/null", O_RDWR)                       = 4
11466:  open("/var/run/saslauthd/saslauthd.pid", O_RDWR|O_CREAT, 0644) = 4
11466:  open("/dev/conslog", O_WRONLY)                  = 3
11466:  open("/usr/share/lib/zoneinfo/US/Central", O_RDONLY) = 5
11466:  open("/var/run/syslog_door", O_RDONLY)          = 5
11466:  open("/var/run/syslog_door", O_RDONLY)          = 7
jmail1# grep stat /tmp/fff
11465:  xstat(2, "/opt/depot/cyrus-sasl-2.1.23/sbin/saslauthd", 0x080478F8) = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libgss.so.1", 0x08047128)    = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libresolv.so.2", 0x08047128) = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libsocket.so.1", 0x08047128) = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libnsl.so.1", 0x08047128)    = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libpam.so.1", 0x08047128)    = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libc.so.1", 0x08047128)      = 0
11465:  xstat(2, "/usr/lib/libcmd.so.1", 0x08047128)    = 0
11466:  fxstat(2, -1, 0x08047460)                       Err#9 EBADF
11466:  fxstat(2, 3, 0x08047460)                        = 0
11466:  fxstat(2, 3, 0x08046AB8)                        = 0
11466:  fstat64(5, 0x080467C0)                          = 0
11466:  fxstat(2, 3, 0x08046C08)                        = 0

and the pattern "smtpd" doesn't appear anywhere in the truss output.
so what config file is saslauthd reading?  how do i know/find out?
(looks like none, to me.)
i expected to see that file being opened.  am i wrong about that?


thx.

j.

--
Jay Scott 512-835-3553 [hidden email]
Head of Sun Support, Sr. Operating Systems Specialist
Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.                   S224
University of Texas at Austin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: proving that smtpd.conf is being read

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:38:11PM -0500, Jay G. Scott wrote:

> ---------------------
> /etc/postfix/main.cf snippet:
> ---------------------
>
> smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> now,
> "smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd"
> means this (right?):
> when cyrus-sasl-2.1.23 was configged:
> configure --sysconfdir=/some/path/etc
> smtpd_sasl_path ==>  /some/path/etc/smtpd.conf
> right?
> because i don't see that being opened.  i truss saslauthd on startup:
>
> jmail1# truss -f -o /tmp/fff $TOP/sbin/saslauthd -a shadow -m /var/run/saslauthdjmail1# grep open /tmp/fff

Well, it is not saslauthd that reads smtpd.conf. How would it know to do
that? It is not the Postfix "smtpd" service.

To configure the location of the Cyrus config file for smtpd, use:

    cyrus_sasl_config_path = /some/path/etc

you don't need to set this in the SASL library at compile time.

--
        Viktor.

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.

To unsubscribe from the postfix-users list, visit
http://www.postfix.org/lists.html or click the link below:
<mailto:[hidden email]?body=unsubscribe%20postfix-users>

If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
"It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: proving that smtpd.conf is being read

Jay G. Scott
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 02:56:51PM -0400, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 01:38:11PM -0500, Jay G. Scott wrote:
>
> > ---------------------
> > /etc/postfix/main.cf snippet:
> > ---------------------
> >
> > smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > now,
> > "smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd"
> > means this (right?):
> > when cyrus-sasl-2.1.23 was configged:
> > configure --sysconfdir=/some/path/etc
> > smtpd_sasl_path ==>  /some/path/etc/smtpd.conf
> > right?
> > because i don't see that being opened.  i truss saslauthd on startup:
> >
> > jmail1# truss -f -o /tmp/fff $TOP/sbin/saslauthd -a shadow -m /var/run/saslauthdjmail1# grep open /tmp/fff
>
> Well, it is not saslauthd that reads smtpd.conf. How would it know to do
> that? It is not the Postfix "smtpd" service.

splutter.  you're right, of course.

>
> To configure the location of the Cyrus config file for smtpd, use:
>
>     cyrus_sasl_config_path = /some/path/etc

that didn't work for me, FWIW.  trussing the postfix daemons
showed me where it was looking for the file, so i
appeased it and put the file there.

thanks.  i'm satisified w/ my workaround, and not curious
enough to pursue why the cyrus_... didn't work.

j.

>
> you don't need to set this in the SASL library at compile time.
>
> --
> Viktor.
>
> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.
>
> To unsubscribe from the postfix-users list, visit
> http://www.postfix.org/lists.html or click the link below:
> <mailto:[hidden email]?body=unsubscribe%20postfix-users>
>
> If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
> send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
> "It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.

--
Jay Scott 512-835-3553 [hidden email]
Head of Sun Support, Sr. Operating Systems Specialist
Applied Research Labs, Computer Science Div.                   S224
University of Texas at Austin
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: proving that smtpd.conf is being read

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 03:20:02PM -0500, Jay G. Scott wrote:

> > To configure the location of the Cyrus config file for smtpd, use:
> >
> >     cyrus_sasl_config_path = /some/path/etc
>
> that didn't work for me, FWIW.  trussing the postfix daemons
> showed me where it was looking for the file, so i
> appeased it and put the file there.
>
> thanks.  i'm satisified w/ my workaround, and not curious
> enough to pursue why the cyrus_... didn't work.

The cyrus_sasl_config_path directive works with:

    -  Postfix 2.5 and later when compiled with Cyrus SASL 2.1.22 or later

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#cyrus_sasl_config_path if either
condition is not met, then you have to use other methods. If you have
Postfix 2.5 or later *and* Cyrus 2.1.22 or later, and Postfix is compiled
against the right Cyrus header files, it should work as documented.

--
        Viktor.

Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.

To unsubscribe from the postfix-users list, visit
http://www.postfix.org/lists.html or click the link below:
<mailto:[hidden email]?body=unsubscribe%20postfix-users>

If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
"It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.