qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

Frank Bonnet
Hello

I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
an also old server.

The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
that use qmail.

Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
send emails to the Internet.

In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
instance that will send it outside .

it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
emails.

The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters

Anyone did this ?

Is it possible ?

Thank you

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

Noel Jones-2
On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
> an also old server.
>
> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
> that use qmail.
>
> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
>
> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
> send emails to the Internet.
>
> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
> instance that will send it outside .

That doesn't sound too hard.

Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.

In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
smtp  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd
and change it to
127.0.0.1:2525  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd

Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost.  I don't use
qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes

but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

Robert Sander
On 21.03.2013 13:09, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Is it possible ?

Yes, just put your Postfix IP and port in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes:

:127.0.0.1:25

Bind your qmail-smtpd on another port in /service/qmail-smtpd/run.

Regards
--
Robert Sander
Heinlein Support GmbH

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 93818 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

John Levine
>Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
>to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.

I'm not surprised, it's pretty picky about non-standard behavior.

>my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
>send emails to the Internet.
>
>In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
>instance that will send it outside .

That's pretty straightforward.  One way is to set up postfix listening
on a local port, say 2525, then in /var/qmail/control/smtproutes put

:127.0.0.1:2525

to tell it to send all mail via SMTP to the postfix listener.

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

Frank Bonnet
Hello Noel

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer :-)

Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
[...]

Hello again

Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails to few
users on this machine in a special way .

Thank you

CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
[...]

Matthias Andree
Am 21.03.2013 13:09, schrieb Frank Bonnet:

> Hello
>
> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
> an also old server.
>
> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
> that use qmail.
>
> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
>
> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
> send emails to the Internet.
>
> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
> instance that will send it outside .
>
> it that config I could tweak postfix as I want to manage outgoing
> emails.
>
> The server is mainly used to send daily newsletters
>
> Anyone did this ?
>
> Is it possible ?

There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
- and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)

If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit.  If your
software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

Wietse Venema
Matthias Andree:
> There is one caveat, though: qmail-send will disassemble multi-recipient
> posts, i. e. you will get one Postfix message and queue ID per recipient
> - and Postfix has some VERP support (Mailman, for instance, uses it.)
>
> If you can somehow manage to inject outgoing mail directly into Postfix,
> so that you can bypass qmail-send, that may help quite a bit.  If your
> software talks QMQP for injection into qmail for sending outbound mail,
> you can make Postfix provide a QMQPd.

The following construction has worked for years at securityfocus.com:

    SMTP protocol -> qmail -> ezmlm -> QMQPD protocol -> Postfix

This construction was chosen because qmail was falling behind
with email deliveries.

Re: qmail forward to postfix on the same machine ?

> CYBERDROID Inc. Le 21/03/2013 14:32, Noel Jones a écrit :
>> On 3/21/2013 7:09 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I'm in trouble with an old Qmail server that runs on
>>> an also old server.
>>>
>>> The problem is I cannot modify the existing configuration
>>> of this machine because of inhouse developped applications
>>> that use qmail.
>>>
>>> Qmail ( which i know very few ) seem a bit autistic when talking
>>> to non FQDN distants servers or with MX misconfigured.
>>>
>>> my idea is to add a postfix instance on this machine which will
>>> send emails to the Internet.
>>>
>>> In my plan Qmail will inject all outgoing SMTP traffic into Postfix
>>> instance that will send it outside .
>> That doesn't sound too hard.
>>
>> Configure postfix to listen on some localhost port -- I'll use 2525
>> for this example -- and configure qmail to use that as a smarthost.
>>
>> In postfix master.cf, find the line that resembles
>> smtp  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd
>> and change it to
>> 127.0.0.1:2525  inet  n  -  n   -   -   smtpd
>>

>> Then configure qmail to use that port as a smarthost.  I don't use
>> qmail, but google suggests the way to do that is
>> echo ":127.0.0.1:2525" > /var/qmail/control/smtproutes
>>
>> but you might want to check your qmail docs for details.
>>

>>   -- Noel Jones

On 3/22/2013 3:01 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:> Hello again

> Would it be bi-directionnal ? I mean does incoming email are routed to
> the internal qmail server , I need this because qmail deliver emails
> to few
> users on this machine in a special way .
>
> Thank you

[please do not top post]

The simple example I posted above should not change the path of
incoming SMTP mail.  Incoming SMTP mail should still be handled by
qmail, and postfix should only listen on 127.0.0.1:2525.

There are tools in your OS to define which MTA will respond to the
"mail" or "sendmail" local commands, such as system reports sent by
cron, etc.

  -- Noel Jones