question regarding virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailboxes_map

question regarding virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailboxes_map

Andras Kemeny

hi,

i have a working setup, but since i want to expand the capabilities of our system, i tampered with it and ran into an error at which i'm quite baffled.

excerpt from the settings:

# Valid virtual domains
virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
virtual_alias_domains = proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains

(btw postfix keeps complaining like this:
Aug  8 11:54:15 rhyno postfix/trivial-rewrite[24427]: warning: do not list domain rhyno.tech in BOTH virtual_alias_domains and virtual_mailbox_domains
...but then how do i tell postfix that i need it to check for aliased addresses before attempting virtual delivery?)

# Virtual aliases
virtual_alias_maps = proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_aliases
# Valid virtual recipients
#virtual_mailbox_maps = proxy:<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_boxes.cf">ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap/virtual_boxes.cf

(yes, there is no virtual_mailbox_maps as i didn't want a separate round of address checking (as you can see, that data is available from LDAP only) when dovecot will check it no matter what. so there should be no address checking. why does then postfix keep complaining like:
Aug  8 11:54:15 rhyno postfix/error[24439]: 7C64B5C009F: to=[hidden email], orig_to=[hidden email], relay=none, delay=3.1, delays=3.1/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (User unknown in virtual alias table)
...when in fact [hidden email] exists and works?)

# Deliver mail for virtual recipients to Dovecot
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:private/dovecot-lmtp

so all delivery (and any address checking) happens via dovecot-lmtp. i don't get why postfix wants to know the final recipients if rhyno.tech is in the virtual_domains hashmap.

virtual_domains file:

rhyno.tech      OK
rhynotechnologies.com   OK

virtual_aliases file:

[hidden email]   [hidden email]
[hidden email]   [hidden email]
[hidden email]        [hidden email]
[hidden email]       [hidden email]

what am i doing wrong? should i try to set up aliasing in dovecot? is it possible at all?

thanks,
andras

Re: question regarding virtual_alias_maps and virtual_mailboxes_map

Wietse Venema
Andras Kemeny:
[ Charset ISO-8859-2 converted... ]

> hi,
>
> i have a working setup, but since i want to expand the capabilities of
> our system, i tampered with it and ran into an error at which i'm quite
> baffled.
>
> excerpt from the settings:
>
> # Valid virtual domains
> virtual_mailbox_domains = proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
> virtual_alias_domains = proxy:hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
>
> /(btw postfix keeps complaining like this://
> //Aug? 8 11:54:15 rhyno postfix/trivial-rewrite[24427]: warning: do not
> list domain rhyno.tech in BOTH virtual_alias_domains and
> virtual_mailbox_domains//
> //...but then how do i tell postfix that i need it to check for aliased
> addresses before attempting virtual delivery?)/

As documented, virtual_alias_maps is ALWAYS searched.

        Wietse