"queue file write error" - How do I troubleshoot?

"queue file write error" - How do I troubleshoot?

Vidar Salberg Normann
Hi guys,

I just got the following email from our Postfix-server:
Subject: Postfix SMTP server: errors from unknown[******]
Body:
Transcript of session follows.

 Out: 220 ******** NO UCE ESMTP
 In:  EHLO *******
 Out: 250-*******
 Out: 250-PIPELINING
 Out: 250-SIZE 65536000
 Out: 250-ETRN
 Out: 250-STARTTLS
 Out: 250-AUTH PLAIN
 Out: 250-AUTH=PLAIN
 Out: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
 Out: 250-8BITMIME
 Out: 250 DSN
 In:  MAIL FROM: <*******>
 Out: 250 2.1.0 Ok
 In:  RCPT TO: <********>
 Out: 250 2.1.5 Ok
 In:  DATA
 Out: 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
 Out: 451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error
 In:  QUIT
 Out: 221 2.0.0 Bye

The asterisks are mine, I've just removed the IP-adresses, servernames and
email-adresses. I've had a hard time finding info about what might give this
error, any ideas?

Best regards,
Vidar

Re: "queue file write error" - How do I troubleshoot?

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Vidar Salberg Normann <[hidden email]>:

> The asterisks are mine, I've just removed the IP-adresses, servernames and
> email-adresses. I've had a hard time finding info about what might give this
> error, any ideas?

Look at your log!

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
To rephrase, spam is not the answer. Spam is the question. Death is
not the answer, but pretty close to it.

Re: "queue file write error" - How do I troubleshoot?

Vidar Salberg Normann:
> The asterisks are mine, I've just removed the IP-adresses, servernames and
> email-adresses. I've had a hard time finding info about what might give this
> error, any ideas?

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

Look for obvious signs of trouble

Postfix logs all failed and successful deliveries to a logfile. The file is
usually called /var/log/maillog or /var/log/mail; the exact pathname is defined
in the /etc/syslog.conf file.

When Postfix does not receive or deliver mail, the first order of business is
to look for errors that prevent Postfix from working properly:

    % egrep '(warning|error|fatal|panic):' /some/log/file | more

Note: the most important message is near the BEGINNING of the output. Error
messages that come later are less useful.

The nature of each problem is indicated as follows:

  * "panic" indicates a problem in the software itself that only a programmer
    can fix. Postfix cannot proceed until this is fixed.

  * "fatal" is the result of missing files, incorrect permissions, incorrect
    configuration file settings that you can fix. Postfix cannot proceed until
    this is fixed.

  * "error" reports an error condition. For safety reasons, a Postfix process
    will terminate when more than 13 of these happen.

  * "warning" indicates a non-fatal error. These are problems that you may not
    be able to fix (such as a broken DNS server elsewhere on the network) but
    may also indicate local configuration errors that could become a problem
    later.