recipient limit question

Fazzina, Angelo

Hi,

Did my postfix instance limit the number of recipients in the email that was sent ?

I was reading this  at this link http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html

default_extra_recipient_limit (default: 1000)

The default value for the extra per-transport limit imposed on the number of in-memory recipients. This extra recipient space is reserved for the cases when the Postfix queue manager's scheduler preempts one message with another and suddenly needs some extra recipients slots for the chosen message in order to avoid performance degradation.

Use transport_extra_recipient_limit to specify a transport-specific override, where transport is the master.cf name of the message delivery transport.

I have an email that was sent to [I don’t know how many, still waiting for an answer] but logs show it went to 1000, and I see 3 more users that

There is no record the email was sent.  ALL the users were in the BCC field of the screen shot if that is important, and FROM and TO are same address.

All I have so far is sender screen shot of outlook email. The account profile in Outlook is configured to send to my postfix server directly as seen in logs below.

Actual log entries:   $$$$$$=  me removing data

Jul 10 10:39:15 mail5 postfix/smtpd[29198]: D7E6522C: client=d115h207.public.uconn.edu[137.99.115.207], sasl_method=LOGIN, sasl_username= $$$$$$

Jul 10 10:39:17 mail5 postfix/cleanup[29188]: D7E6522C: warning: header Subject: Fall 2017 Important Reminder Emails  from d115h207.public.uconn.edu[137.99.115.207]; from=<[hidden email]> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<1GK4LC2>

Jul 10 10:39:17 mail5 postfix/cleanup[29188]: D7E6522C: message-id=<042c01d2f98a$4eb3e060$ec1ba120$@uconn.edu>

Jul 10 10:39:17 mail5 postfix/qmgr[1730]: D7E6522C: from=<[hidden email]>, size=10821, nrcpt=1000 (queue active)

    couple samples.....

Jul 10 10:39:50 mail5 postfix/smtp[28794]: D7E6522C: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=d121027b.ess.barracudanetworks.com[64.235.154.140]:25, delay=34, delays=1.7/0.07/0.23/32, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK ([hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 68751F009D,[hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 68751F009D,matthew.ger...))

Jul 10 10:39:25 mail5 postfix/smtp[29000]: D7E6522C: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=d121027b.ess.barracudanetworks.com[64.235.153.2]:25, delay=9.8, delays=1.7/0.05/0.33/7.7, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK ([hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 44ECF2440093,[hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 44ECF2440093,brendan.l...))

Jul 10 10:39:23 mail5 postfix/smtp[28999]: D7E6522C: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=d121027b.ess.barracudanetworks.com[64.235.150.252]:25, delay=7.8, delays=1.7/0.06/0.09/6, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 OK (cassidy.o'[hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 638D524400C1,[hidden email]:250 Ok: queued as 638D524400C1,ca...))

     ....stops at the 1000th.

Jul 10 10:39:50 mail5 postfix/qmgr[1730]: D7E6522C: removed

Here is some config output of my 2.6.6 install

[root@mail5 home]# postconf |grep -i limit |grep -i recip

default_destination_recipient_limit = 50

default_extra_recipient_limit = 1000

default_recipient_limit = 20000

default_recipient_refill_limit = 100

forward_path = $home/.forward${recipient_delimiter}${extension}, $home/.forward

lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit

local_destination_recipient_limit = 1

qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 20000

recipient_delimiter =

relay_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit

smtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit

smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 0

smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000

smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit = 1000

virtual_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit

-Angelo Fazzina

Operating Systems Programmer / Analyst

University of Connecticut,  UITS, SSG, Server Systems

860-486-9075

Re: recipient limit question

Wietse Venema
Fazzina, Angelo:
> Hi,
>
> Did my postfix instance limit the number of recipients in the email
> that was sent ?

If you're missing recipients in the log, then that may be the result
of unhelpful systemd rate limiting. Systemd is not part of Postfix.

The Postfix scheduler has some safety features so that it will
process a large recipient list in smaller chunks, but it does not
throw them away.

        wietse

RE: recipient limit question

Fazzina, Angelo
Isn't Systemd a RHEL 7 thing ?

I think I run rsyslog.

[root@mail5 home]# ps -ef |grep sys
root      1522     1  0 Jul11 ?        00:01:36 /sbin/rsyslogd -i /var/run/syslogd.pid -c 5
dbus      1537     1  0 Jul11 ?        00:00:00 dbus-daemon --system
root     30400 26453  0 10:51 pts/0    00:00:00 grep sys

[root@mail5 home]# uname -a
Linux mail5.uits.uconn.edu 2.6.32-696.3.1.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Apr 20 11:30:02 EDT 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@mail5 home]# more /etc/issue
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 6.9 (Santiago)
Kernel \r on an \m

-Angelo Fazzina
Operating Systems Programmer / Analyst
University of Connecticut,  UITS, SSG, Server Systems
860-486-9075

> Did my postfix instance limit the number of recipients in the email
> that was sent ?

If you're missing recipients in the log, then that may be the result
of unhelpful systemd rate limiting. Systemd is not part of Postfix.

The Postfix scheduler has some safety features so that it will
process a large recipient list in smaller chunks, but it does not
throw them away.

        wietse

Re: recipient limit question

Bastian Blank-3
On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 02:29:00PM +0000, Fazzina, Angelo wrote:
> Did my postfix instance limit the number of recipients in the email that was sent ?

Yes, it restricts the amount of recipients to the number given.  Your
client needs to do another mail transaction with the remaining
recipients.  For more information see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5321#section-4.5.3.1.8

Bastian

--
Lots of people drink from the wrong bottle sometimes.
                -- Edith Keeler, "The City on the Edge of Forever",
                   stardate unknown

RE: recipient limit question

Fazzina, Angelo
Thank you. I see it maybe me doing the limiting

smtpd_recipient_limit (default: 1000)

    The maximal number of recipients that the Postfix SMTP server accepts per message delivery request.

Q1 = So, can I assume it does not matter if the recipients are in the TO, CC, or BCC field, the hard limit is 1000 ?
Q2 = how do I search the logs for messages telling me I exceeded the limit ? what is the postconf entry to check if I am logging this stuff in first place ?

Q3 = is there danger in increasing limit so senders emails are delivered as they should be ? What other options are there ?

Thank you.

                   stardate unknown

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 03:12:16PM +0000, Fazzina, Angelo wrote:
> Thank you. I see it maybe me doing the limiting
> smtpd_recipient_limit (default: 1000)
>     The maximal number of recipients that the Postfix SMTP server accepts per message delivery request.
> Q1 = So, can I assume it does not matter if the recipients are in the TO, CC, or BCC field, the hard limit is 1000 ?

Postfix is a MTA, it does not care about headers, like To, Cc, Bcc.  It
only cares about recipients, which are part of the envelope.

> Q2 = how do I search the logs for messages telling me I exceeded the limit ? what is the postconf entry to check if I am logging this stuff in first place ?

You can't, as it is the clients task to retry with the remaining
recipients and it is no hard error.

> Q3 = is there danger in increasing limit so senders emails are delivered as they should be ? What other options are there ?

Find the error.  But guessing from the subject of the mail in question
you really want some specialized mailing list software like Mailman for
this task.

Bastian

--
Oblivion together does not frighten me, beloved.
                -- Thalassa (in Anne Mulhall's body), "Return to Tomorrow",
                   stardate 4770.3.

RE: recipient limit question

Fazzina, Angelo
Hi,
When the limit is exceeded should the sender receive a bounce back email ?
You say "find the error" is that the error you are talking about ?

To me it's sounding like I should ask sender to send emails with less than 1000 recipients and limit will not hit.
It's too bad there is no way to know a sender has exceeded the setting
smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000

thanks.
-ALF

                   stardate 4770.3.

On 8/4/2017 10:12 AM, Fazzina, Angelo wrote:
> Thank you. I see it maybe me doing the limiting
>
> smtpd_recipient_limit (default: 1000)
>
>     The maximal number of recipients that the Postfix SMTP server accepts per message delivery request.
>

> Q1 = So, can I assume it does not matter if the recipients are in the TO, CC, or BCC field,

Correct.  Postfix reads the envelope, not the headers.

> the hard limit is 1000 ?

This is a soft limit.  Postfix signals the sending client the limit
is exceeded, and the client should disconnect and and reconnect to
send the remaining recipients, or at least notify the human the send
failed.  If you're sending with Outlook, this is Outlook's
responsibility.

> Q2 = how do I search the logs for messages telling me I exceeded the limit ? what is the postconf entry to check if I am logging this stuff in first place ?

I believe postfix will log these as a reject: with a 4xx code, which
indicates the recipient was deferred and can be retried.

> Q3 = is there danger in increasing limit so senders emails are delivered as they should be ?

You can increase the limit on the master.cf submission service by
adding:
  -o smtpd_recipient_limit=5000

> What other options are there ?

Use a better mail client that understands how to resend.

Re: recipient limit question

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 04.08.17 15:28, Fazzina, Angelo wrote:
>When the limit is exceeded should the sender receive a bounce back email ?

postfix rejects additional recipients with temporary error, which means
that the client should retry those.
Proper SMTP clients retry remaining recipients until mail is sent to all of
them.

>You say "find the error" is that the error you are talking about ?
>
>To me it's sounding like I should ask sender to send emails with less than
> 1000 recipients and limit will not hit.

you can increase the limit for the client. Or, better, recommend using
specialized client.  Or, best, try offering mailing list or similar service.

>It's too bad there is no way to know a sender has exceeded the setting
>smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000

actually there is. The "452" error code is designed to tell sender that the
number of recipients was crossed and client should not try others, but retry
sending mail with the rest of recipients.

WinError #99999: Out of error messages.