rejecting mail for unknown recipients

Tom Browder
It's not clear to me about mail from the internet to non-local
addresses being automatically rejected unless they are explicitly
listed in the aliases file.

I think the docs mean that I don't have to worry about rejecting mail
from the internet sending to unknown user names.  The only alias names
I have in the aliases file are the standard ones plus three other
aliases for my single simple mailing list.

I do have two other local users besides myself.

So, will all incoming mail to any user EXCEPT the aliases and the
local users be rejected without having to explicitly list the two
other local names?

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: rejecting mail for unknown recipients

Viktor Dukhovni
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:48:59PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:

> It's not clear to me about mail from the internet to non-local
> addresses being automatically rejected unless they are explicitly
> listed in the aliases file.
>
> I think the docs mean that I don't have to worry about rejecting mail
> from the internet sending to unknown user names.  The only alias names
> I have in the aliases file are the standard ones plus three other
> aliases for my single simple mailing list.
>
> I do have two other local users besides myself.
>
> So, will all incoming mail to any user EXCEPT the aliases and the
> local users be rejected without having to explicitly list the two
> other local names?

[ The comparisons to Postfix 1 are now dated, just ignore those. ]