relay host & client throttling

Administrator Beckspaced.com
Dear postfix community,

I got a few servers all running postfix 2.11.x
Then I got my main mail server and all other servers use this as relayhost.

authentication to relayhost is done via sasl auth and all is working
fine and as expected ;)

but let's say I do a fail2ban restart on one of the servers lots of
fail2ban notify emails will get send via the relayhost
resulting in the relayhost throttling down the other server

which is actually not a big thing as the mails stay in the queue for a
bit and get send later.

But is there an option in postfix to say: no worries! trust that client.
do not throttle ;)

before doing the sasl auth between relayhost and client I added all the
other server's IP addresses to the mynetworks setting in postfix, but
the negative effect was that you sometimes forget to remove an IP
address when switching to new servers.

So a 'do not throttle this client' would be nice.
Or perhaps someone got a better idea?

Thanks, greetings & postfix is just awesome!
Becki

Re: relay host & client throttling

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 01.09.17 10:37, Admin Beckspaced wrote:
>but let's say I do a fail2ban restart on one of the servers lots of
>fail2ban notify emails will get send via the relayhost
>resulting in the relayhost throttling down the other server
>
>which is actually not a big thing as the mails stay in the queue for
>a bit and get send later.
>
>But is there an option in postfix to say: no worries! trust that
>client. do not throttle ;)

how do you throttle?
if you use smtpd_*_limit for throttling, use smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions
for exceptions.

It's now safe to throw off your computer.

On 01.09.2017 14:09, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> On 01.09.17 10:37, Admin Beckspaced wrote:
>> but let's say I do a fail2ban restart on one of the servers lots of
>> fail2ban notify emails will get send via the relayhost
>> resulting in the relayhost throttling down the other server
>>
>> which is actually not a big thing as the mails stay in the queue for
>> a bit and get send later.
>>
>> But is there an option in postfix to say: no worries! trust that
>> client. do not throttle ;)
>
> how do you throttle?
> if you use smtpd_*_limit for throttling, use
> smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions
> for exceptions.

Thanks ;) exactly what is was looking for!