retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Mai Ling
My small office client upgraded his internet connection and I've updated the self hosted postfix configuration file with the new IP address.

Soon after, email users began complaining about bounces they started receiving for some emails they sent.

After examining logs I've concluded that the newly IP was reused from another client and it is listed in few rbl. One server did not even let me say HELO, just printing a 5xx message and closing tcp connection.

I've reverted the change to ensure email continuitiy (as the old connection is still available) and waiting for rbl to expire, and also asked ISP to create a dns PTR record for it (it didn't have one).

But until these will be solved I'd like to instruct postfix to retry a 5xx response using the secondary IP (so the smtp client to try connecting using the new outbound source IP, and if gets a 4xx or 5xx to try again using the good old clean IP).

Is this possible?

Using an old version (2.9.6) on Debian Wheezy 32bit.

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Dominic Raferd
On 9 August 2017 at 12:35, Mai Ling <[hidden email]> wrote:
My small office client upgraded his internet connection and I've updated the self hosted postfix configuration file with the new IP address.

Soon after, email users began complaining about bounces they started receiving for some emails they sent.
​..

Just checking, is the new ip dynamic? Dynamic ips are blacklisted by many rbls automatically (and requests for exceptions will be ignored), so in this case you must use a relayhost.

Just checking, is the new ip dynamic? Dynamic ips are blacklisted by many rbls automatically (and requests for exceptions will be ignored), so in this case you must use a relayhost.

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 09.08.17 17:00, Mai Ling wrote:
> no, it's statically configured

you need proper FcRDNS - ask your new ISP to configure reverse DNS pointing
to something that already points to your new IP (your mail server name
probably)

He who laughs last thinks slowest.