retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Mai Ling

I've already asked them that.
My question is can postfix retry a failed delivery using another smtp_bind_address than the first tried and failed one?

On aug. 9, 2017 at 5:10 p.m., <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 09.08.17 17:00, Mai Ling wrote:
> no, it's statically configured

you need proper FcRDNS - ask your new ISP to configure reverse DNS pointing
to something that already points to your new IP (your mail server name
probably)

--
Matus UHLAR - fantomas,

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 10.08.17 08:04, Mai Ling wrote:
> My question is can postfix retry a failed delivery using another smtp_bind_address than the first tried and failed one?

did you even read error messages you've got and searched the net for
answers?

>> On aug. 9, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.,  <Matus UHLAR - fantomas (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>>
>>  On 09.08.17 17:00, Mai Ling wrote:  >  no, it's statically configured
>> you need proper FcRDNS - ask your new ISP to configure reverse DNS
>> pointing to something that already points to your new IP (your mail
>> server name probably) -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas,

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Mai Ling
I'm sorry but I fail to understand what value is your acid question bringing to the conversation.

FWIW, Mathus, the remote side is simply printing a 5xx one line message "not accepted" banner instead of the expected welcome 220 banner, not giving any explanation to why, then closing the tcp session, without postfix even getting a chance to say HELO!

However, the topic of this thread is: Can postfix retry a failed message, by attempting to retransmit using a different outgoing IP address of the machine it's running on?

If I send a mail to the same destination using the old IP address, a regular smtp conversation takes place and email is accepted by the remote side!

Thank you

On aug. 10, 2017 at 1:38 p.m., <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 10.08.17 08:04, Mai Ling wrote:
> My question is can postfix retry a failed delivery using another smtp_bind_address than the first tried and failed one?

did you even read error messages you've got and searched the net for
answers?

>> On aug. 9, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.,    wrote:
>>
>>  On 09.08.17 17:00, Mai Ling wrote:  >  no, it's statically configured
>> you need proper FcRDNS - ask your new ISP to configure reverse DNS
>> pointing to something that already points to your new IP (your mail
>> server name probably) -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas,

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Wietse Venema
Mai Ling:
> FWIW, Mathus, the remote side is simply printing a 5xx one line
> message "not accepted" banner instead of the expected welcome 220
> banner, not giving any explanation to why, then closing the tcp
> session, without postfix even getting a chance to say HELO!

If the primary MX for a domain does not want to talk to you,
why are you ignoring the content of their response?

On 8/10/2017 12:29 PM, Mai Ling wrote:
> However, the topic of this thread is: Can postfix retry a failed
> message, by attempting to retransmit using a different outgoing IP
> address of the machine it's running on?
>
> If I send a mail to the same destination using the old IP address, a
> regular smtp conversation takes place and email is accepted by the
> remote side!

If you're willing to use the old IP for failed mail, why not just
use the old IP for ALL mail until until your new IP gets set up for
proper FCrDNS and (maybe) removed from blacklists?

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Mai Ling
that is what I am doing right now & waiting for an answer from ISP for request to allocate a different, «clean» reputation IP address.

On aug. 10, 2017 at 11:45 p.m., <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 8/10/2017 12:29 PM, Mai Ling wrote:
> However, the topic of this thread is: Can postfix retry a failed
> message, by attempting to retransmit using a different outgoing IP
> address of the machine it's running on?
>
> If I send a mail to the same destination using the old IP address, a
> regular smtp conversation takes place and email is accepted by the
> remote side!

If you're willing to use the old IP for failed mail, why not just
use the old IP for ALL mail until until your new IP gets set up for
proper FCrDNS and (maybe) removed from blacklists?

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Mai Ling
the primary mx is not refusing *me* the postifx box, it's refusing connections initiated by me from one of the two IP address.

Do the RFCs handle such cases? (fallback to a different smtp_bind_address)
Does postfix have some round-robin or fallback choice of smtp_bind_address?

On aug. 10, 2017 at 9:06 p.m., <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mai Ling:
> FWIW, Mathus, the remote side is simply printing a 5xx one line
> message "not accepted" banner instead of the expected welcome 220
> banner, not giving any explanation to why, then closing the tcp
> session, without postfix even getting a chance to say HELO!

If the primary MX for a domain does not want to talk to you,
why are you ignoring the content of their response?

Re: retry 5xx using a fallback outgoing IP

Noel Jones-2
On 8/11/2017 4:44 AM, Mai Ling wrote:
> the primary mx is not refusing *me* the postifx box, it's refusing
> connections initiated by me from one of the two IP address.
>
> Do the RFCs handle such cases? (fallback to a different
> smtp_bind_address)
> Does postfix have some round-robin or fallback choice of
> smtp_bind_address?

The RFCs and postfix allow retry from a different IP in the case of
4xx temporary failures.

The RFCs and postfix do not allow retry after a 5xx permanent rejection.

Attempting to workaround this will likely get your working IP and
your sending domain blacklisted.  Don't do it.