rewrite/masquerade configuration

john
SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
mail_version = 2.9.4

Our ERP recently was migrated from a HPUX/sendmail server to a SUSE/postfix server.  I'm trying to get postfix configure to handle from/reply-to the way we want to do.

We have two 'domain' that the ERP can generate emails from, the first is for students ([hidden email]) and the second is staff/faculty ([hidden email]).

We can't have emails say they are from the server ([hidden email]), this needs to be changed to [hidden email].

We also have a couple users accounts that need to stay local i.e. userX and userY.

I have been trying to get the configuration right, mostly modifying the masquerade and myorigin settings.  But haven't got the right combination.

Right now emails from in the form of [hidden email] get delivered correctly with the correct from/reply-to. Emails from the form of [hidden email] get changed to [hidden email], which makes the reply-to address worng and someone replying gets a bounce.  The batch processes that generate the from/reply-to address as [hidden email] are correctly getting changed to [hidden email]

The problem is with the student domain, how do I keep it intact so the from/reply-to will be correct? i.e. [hidden email] stays [hidden email], but at the same time [hidden email] gets changed to [hidden email]?????

any suggestions on how to proceed.

to recap:

email from [hidden email] goes out using [hidden email] email from [hidden email] goes out using [hidden email] email from userX & userY stays local email from [hidden email] gets rewritten to [hidden email]

john

Re: rewrite/masquerade configuration

Wietse Venema
John Adamski (Work Account):

> SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11
> mail_version = 2.9.4
>
> Our ERP recently was migrated from a HPUX/sendmail server to a SUSE/postfix server.  I'm trying to get postfix configure to handle from/reply-to the way we want to do.
>
> We have two 'domain' that the ERP can generate emails from, the first is for students ([hidden email]) and the second is staff/faculty ([hidden email]).
>
> We can't have emails say they are from the server ([hidden email]), this needs to be changed to [hidden email].
>
> We also have a couple users accounts that need to stay local i.e. userX and userY.
>
> I have been trying to get the configuration right, mostly modifying the masquerade and myorigin settings.  But haven't got the right combination.
>
> Right now emails from in the form of [hidden email] get delivered correctly with the correct from/reply-to. Emails from the form of [hidden email] get changed to [hidden email], which makes the reply-to address worng and someone replying gets a bounce.  The batch processes that generate the from/reply-to address as [hidden email] are correctly getting changed to [hidden email]
>
> The problem is with the student domain, how do I keep it intact so the from/reply-to will be correct? i.e. [hidden email] stays [hidden email], but at the same time [hidden email] gets changed to [hidden email]?????
>
> any suggestions on how to proceed.
>

> to recap:
>
> email from [hidden email] goes out using [hidden email] email from [hidden email] goes out using [hidden email] email from userX & userY stays local email from [hidden email] gets rewritten to [hidden email]

I wrote Postfix, do don't dismiss this advice.

First of all, the solutions for staff and students can be
implemented separately.

Second, the fact that one domain is a subdomain of the other is
irrelevant. Just don't use masquerade_domains. It should have
been removed years ago.

Example: domain with multiple primary MX servers

Set primary MX records to the servers that receive mail for the domain
Don't use masquerade_domains.
set mydomain = the domain, not the server
set myorigin = $mydomain
set mydestination = $mydomain, $myhostname
Use virtual_alias_maps to direct mail for user@domain to [hidden email]
(for example, LDAP based).

Example: domain with one primary MX server

Set primary MX record to the server that receives mail for the domain
Don't use masquerade_domains.
set mydomain = the domain, not the server
set myorigin = $mydomain
set mydestination = $mydomain, $myhostname

Re: rewrite/masquerade configuration

john
I'm in the process of making your suggested changes and testing. But not sure
how these changes will address the two users I need to stay local.

John

Re: rewrite/masquerade configuration

Wietse Venema
john:
> I'm in the process of making your suggested changes and testing. But not sure
> how these changes will address the two users I need to stay local.

There's a README for that:
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html#some_local

I might add here: do not add the domain name to virtual_alias_domains,
That would screw up everyone elses email.

        Wietse