server hw sizing

rmosnicka
hello,
is exists any dokument for hardware sizing for postfix server ?
For example I need something like - for 500000 email per day where top is
100 emails per secunde minimal server configuration is ..

Thank you for help Roman

Re: server hw sizing

Sven Schwedas
On 2018-10-04 13:40, rmosnicka wrote:
> hello,
> is exists any dokument for hardware sizing for postfix server ?

That will heavily depend on your configuration, especially wrt milters,
local transports and the likes.

> For example I need something like - for 500000 email per day where top is
> 100 emails per secunde minimal server configuration is ..

A Raspberry Pi, if you don't mind a few seconds latency and don't
actually do anything with the emails, and they aren't too big.

Which are assumptions that might not apply to your use case, whatever
that is.

Re: server hw sizing

rmosnicka
hello,
thank for tip, but I need some document which I can use as reference for
project documentation.
Regards Roman

Re: server hw sizing

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 04:40:03AM -0700, rmosnicka wrote:

> For example I need something like - for 500000 email per day where top is
> 100 emails per secunde minimal server configuration is ..

There is no such document, and never will be.  The above number is
just ~6 msgs/sec, and you'll typically have a hard time finding
hardware that struggles with such a small load.

On modern server CPUs and disks, and given even modest network
resources, your server should be able to sustain over 100 msgs/sec
or ~9 million messages a day.  Unless it is an outbound server
sending primarily to Gmail.com, Outlook.com, ... where the destination
imposes per-IP rate controls, or you want to run very CPU intensive
anti-virus/anti-spam engines.

Nobody else can measure and predict your load and constraints, which
are unlikely to be determined by the hardware per-se.

Re: server hw sizing

Curtis Maurand
I've worked hard over the years trying to get a decent performing mail server.  Postfix load is negligible.  Postfix resource use is not heavy.  It's all the things around it that you have to worry about.  Most of the processing is used in dissembling each message and scanning it for viruses and spam.

amavisd-new is written perl. It's a resource hog.  Add fuzzy OCR and clamav and resource utilization starts going up.  Lot's of regulare expressions in all those rules and policies.

--Curtis

October 4 2018 11:46 AM, "Viktor Dukhovni" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 04:40:03AM -0700, rmosnicka wrote:
>
>> For example I need something like - for 500000 email per day where top is
>> 100 emails per secunde minimal server configuration is ..
>
> There is no such document, and never will be. The above number is
> just ~6 msgs/sec, and you'll typically have a hard time finding
> hardware that struggles with such a small load.
>
> On modern server CPUs and disks, and given even modest network
> resources, your server should be able to sustain over 100 msgs/sec
> or ~9 million messages a day. Unless it is an outbound server
> sending primarily to Gmail.com, Outlook.com, ... where the destination
> imposes per-IP rate controls, or you want to run very CPU intensive
> anti-virus/anti-spam engines.
>
> Nobody else can measure and predict your load and constraints, which
> are unlikely to be determined by the hardware per-se.

> Viktor.

Re: server hw sizing

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 04.10.18 13:50, Sven Schwedas wrote:
>That will heavily depend on your configuration, especially wrt milters,
>local transports and the likes.

so very true.

>> For example I need something like - for 500000 email per day where top is
>> 100 emails per secunde minimal server configuration is ..
>
>A Raspberry Pi, if you don't mind a few seconds latency and don't
>actually do anything with the emails, and they aren't too big.

otoh, with spam and virus scanning, may require many CPU cores and gigabytes
of RAM.  I found that 1B of RAM is not enough to have clamav with (free
only) 3rd party signatures loaded.

How does cat play with mouse? cat /dev/mouse