setting message size

David Southwell
How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?
thanks in advance
david

Re: setting message size

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 04:11:09PM +0100, David Southwell wrote:

> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?
> thanks in advance

There's no such thing as "unlimited". Pick a sensible limit that works
for you and your correspondents, and understand that most sites will
not accept unreasonably large messages, so don't expect to deliver 1GB
attachments to any recipients outside your domain any time soon.

Re: setting message size

Charles Marcus
On 10/2/2009 11:11 AM, David Southwell wrote:
> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?
> thanks in advance
> david

message_size_limit = ########

####### is in bytes

This affects all messages though - if you need different limits for
outgoing and incoming, I think you'll need a policy server...

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: setting message size

Charles Marcus
On 10/2/2009, Victor Duchovni ([hidden email]) wrote:
>> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?
>> thanks in advance

> There's no such thing as "unlimited".

Oops... missed that word...

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: setting message size

Ansgar Wiechers
On 2009-10-02 David Southwell wrote:
> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?

Enable submission in your master.cf (with "-o message_size_limit=0" as
an additional option), and have your internal users send mail via
submission (port 587/tcp) instead of plain SMTP.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

Re: setting message size

Stan Hoeppner
Charles Marcus put forth on 10/2/2009 10:19 AM:

> On 10/2/2009 11:11 AM, David Southwell wrote:
>> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?
>> thanks in advance
>> david
>
> message_size_limit = ########
>
> ####### is in bytes
>
> This affects all messages though - if you need different limits for
> outgoing and incoming, I think you'll need a policy server...

Yes, a policy server and an FTP client running as a policy daemon.  ;)

(sry if my attempt at humor comes across as sarcasm--purely unintentional)

Stan

Re: setting message size

David Southwell:
> How do I set an unlimited outgoing email attachment size?

If would do that, then you would also need an unlimited disk
for the mail queue.

For safety reasons Postfix will not accept mail when the amount of
free space in the queue is less than 1.5x message size limit.

        Wietse