smtp authenticating for outside domain

Mauricio Tavares
         Here is another trivial question: I have a postfix box I want
to let a specific user in another domain, say otherdomain.com, to use it
as his smtp. So, he would authenticate against it but would not have an
email account in the machine. And, of course, nobody else but him from
that domain would be able to send emails using out mail server. What is
the best way to do so? From what I gathered in the
STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README, I need to define the relay_domains

relay_domains = otherdomain.com

and then define relay_recipient_maps

relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients

where /etc/postfix/relay_recipients:

[hidden email] YES

and then define the user login/password so he can do smtp auth? Or am I
missing something obvious?

Re: smtp authenticating for outside domain

Noel Jones-2
Mauricio Tavares wrote:

>         Here is another trivial question: I have a postfix box I want to
> let a specific user in another domain, say otherdomain.com, to use it as
> his smtp. So, he would authenticate against it but would not have an
> email account in the machine. And, of course, nobody else but him from
> that domain would be able to send emails using out mail server. What is
> the best way to do so? From what I gathered in the
> STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README, I need to define the relay_domains
>
> relay_domains = otherdomain.com
>
> and then define relay_recipient_maps
>
> relay_recipient_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/relay_recipients
>
> where /etc/postfix/relay_recipients:
>
> [hidden email]    YES
>
> and then define the user login/password so he can do smtp auth? Or am I
> missing something obvious?

No, nothing needs to be added to relay_domains or
relay_recipient_maps.

You need to configure SASL, then add that user to the SASL
authentication database (this is outside of postfix).  Get
started here:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

Re: smtp authenticating for outside domain

/dev/rob0
On Thursday 06 August 2009 08:34:14 Carl Jeptha wrote:
> Where is a good place to read up on SASL and Postfix?????

Please don't top-post. Anyway, your answer was in the quoted part:

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Noel Jones
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
[snip]
> > Get started here:
> > http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

This contains the Postfix side of things. Cyrus SASL is extensively
documented in its own right, but few have made it through said
documentation alive. ;) Dovecot SASL, being specific to mail servers'
use only, is relatively simple, and is pretty well covered by the
Postfix SASL_README with reference to the Dovecot wiki where needed.

For an excellent SASL+Postfix resource, refer to Patrick Ben Koetter's
online pages and posts here on the mailing list.