smtp_bind_address isn't working

Tumbleweed
I’m setting up my first mail server.

I’ve installed Postfix, configured a few options, and can send mail successfully. I have two addresses, one IPv4 and one IPv6, and I’ve set up my SPF record to my IPv4, which is the one I’d like to use to send emails. The problem is that Postfix refuses to send emails from that IPv4 address alone, instead choosing to send email from my IPv6 address about half the time. In main.cf, I’ve tried every relevant combination of smtp_bind_address, smtp_bind_address6, inet_interfaces, and mynetworks that I can think of. I’ve also tried setting smtp_bind_address in master.cf as described here: http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#smtp_bind_address. I also followed the debugging instructions (http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html) to the best of my ability, but I’m afraid I tapped out when I got to the “tracing the program” steps; I just don’t have the requisite C ability.

System: Debian Stable, Postfix version 2.11.3-1

Here’s the output from postconf -n, almost stock configuration.

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/html
inet_interfaces = all
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = AAAAAAAAAAA.com, jupiter, localhost.localdomain, localhost
myhostname = AAAAAAAAAAAA.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
myorigin = /etc/mailname
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtp_bind_address = D.DDD.DDD.DDD
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/pki/AAAAAAAAAAA.com/cert.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/pki/AAAAAAAAAAA.com/privkey.pem
smtpd_use_tls = yes

Here’s an excerpt from /var/log/mail.log:

Apr 25 20:39:49 jupiter postfix/pickup[13113]: XXXXXXXXXX: uid=0 from=<jupiter@AAAAAAAAAAA.com>
Apr 25 20:39:49 jupiter postfix/cleanup[24947]: XXXXXXXXXX: message-id=<XXXXXXXXXXXX.XXXXXXXXX@AAAAAAAAAAA.com>
Apr 25 20:39:49 jupiter postfix/qmgr[13114]: XXXXXXXXXX: from=<AAAAAA@AAAAAAAAAAA.com>, size=361, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Apr 25 20:39:50 jupiter postfix/smtp[24950]: XXXXXXXXXX: to=<AAAAAAAAA@gmail.com>, relay=gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com[DD.DD.DD.DD]:25, delay=1.1, delays=0.12/0.02/0.18/0.78, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 OK 1493145588 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.57 - gsmtp)
Apr 25 20:39:50 jupiter postfix/qmgr[13114]: XXXXXXXXXX: removed

Can this even be made to work?

Re: smtp_bind_address isn't working

Dominic Raferd

On 25 April 2017 at 21:19, Tumbleweed <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

​Try: inet_protocols = ipv4

Re: smtp_bind_address isn't working

Tumbleweed
Wow, that was easy.

But… why does inet_protocols work when inet_interfaces fails?

Anyway, thanks!

On Apr 25, 2017, at 16:44, Dominic Raferd [via Postfix] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 April 2017 at 21:19, Tumbleweed <<a href="x-msg://22/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=90153&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/smtp-bind-address-isn-t-working-tp90152p90153.html
To unsubscribe from smtp_bind_address isn't working, click here.
NAML