smtp process limit above 1000?

xm niu
 My postfix server:
postfix mail_version=2.3.8
linux 2.6.23-12
2GB memory
2x2.4GHz CPUs with 2 cores on each CPU

At the moment there are 1300 computers sending their log mails at middlenight everyday. I got the warning/error "smtp(25) have reach its process limit....". I tested and have increased the smtp process limit in the master.cf from 25 to 500, it is working fine. But later we will upgrade the network, and it will have about 3000 computers sending logmails at the same time. I am wondering what shall I do?

If I still want to use this postfix server to deal with the new situation, I will have to increase smtp process limit to above 1000? So it means :
Process limits above 1000 require Postfix version 2.4 or later, and an operating system that supports kernel-based event filters (BSD kqueue(2), Linux epoll(4), or Solaris /dev/poll).

Is this postfix servers memory/CPU enough? Or any other solutions?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Re: smtp process limit above 1000?

Wietse Venema
xm niu:

>  My postfix server:
> postfix mail_version=2.3.8
> linux 2.6.23-12

On Linux, there is no reasonable way to do this with Postfix 2.3.
Use a more recent Postfix version, or use a different O/S.

Re: smtp process limit above 1000?

Matthias Haegele-2
xm niu wrote:
> At the moment there are 1300 computers sending their log mails at middlenight everyday.

As a workaround: Why not insert a little randomness and let your
computers send their logs e.g.: between middlenight and 1 am.
[...]

> Discover the new Windows Vista

Argh ;-).

--