smtp proxy

Nasser Heidari-2

Hello everyone

I need a high-performance transparent SMTP proxy.

Please recommend me the best smtp-proxy for use.

Thanks

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: smtp proxy

Charles Marcus
On 4/28/2008, Nasser Heidari ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I need a high-performance transparent SMTP proxy.
>
> Please recommend me the best smtp-proxy for use.

Postfix does a remarkably good job all by itself to eliminate spam, but
a really good smtp proxy is ASSP:

http://assp.sourceforge.net/

and

http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Welcome

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: smtp proxy

Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman

Re: smtp proxy

Charles Marcus
On 4/28/2008, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman ([hidden email]) wrote:

> ASSP is great, and I also like Hermes:
> http://www.hermes-project.com/

Cool, hadn't heard of hermes... thanks for the tip...

--

Best regards,

Charles

RE: smtp proxy

Nasser Heidari-2
Thanks for your answer,
ASSP is a good idea, but I read here:
http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Is_ASSP_for_me%3F  it should work well with
between 1 and 300 client addresses and a mail volume of up to around 100,000
messages per day.
But I have about 2000 messages per minute.
Can you recommend other SMTP proxy for me?
And are there any other ways to control outbound spam transparently?

Thanks a lot .

On 4/28/2008, Nasser Heidari ([hidden email]) wrote:
> I need a high-performance transparent SMTP proxy.
>
> Please recommend me the best smtp-proxy for use.

Postfix does a remarkably good job all by itself to eliminate spam, but
a really good smtp proxy is ASSP:

http://assp.sourceforge.net/

and

http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Welcome

--

Best regards,

Charles

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: smtp proxy

Victor Duchovni
On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 08:54:29AM +0330, Nasser Heidari wrote:

> ASSP is a good idea, but I read here:
> http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Is_ASSP_for_me%3F  it should work well with
> between 1 and 300 client addresses and a mail volume of up to around 100,000
> messages per day.
> But I have about 2000 messages per minute.

What sort of inspection do you need to perform? The performance of an
SMTP proxy depends almost entirely on its internal workload...

The proxy I use ranges from ~12 msgs/sec when configured with the most
aggressive plugin filter setting, ~30 msgs/sec in a more practical
configuration and ~1000 msgs/sec when just passing traffic uninspected.

RE: smtp proxy

d.hill
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 at 08:54 +0330, [hidden email] confabulated:

> Hello,
> Thanks for your answer,
> ASSP is a good idea, but I read here:
> http://www.asspsmtp.org/wiki/Is_ASSP_for_me%3F  it should work well with
> between 1 and 300 client addresses and a mail volume of up to around 100,000
> messages per day.
> But I have about 2000 messages per minute.
> Can you recommend other SMTP proxy for me?

You haven't mentioned what kind of hardware you are using.

Here, our primary filter server (where all MX's pointing to) we are using
a Dell PowerEdge 6850, 4 x 3Ghz Intel Zeon with 12Gb ram. With
Postfix/SpamAssassin/ClamAV, the server processes over five(5) million
messages per day with almost near Postfix default settings. The OS is
FreeBSD 7.0 AMD64. The last CPU load average recorded was:

   +---- Load Average ----+
   |   1m |    5m |   15m |
   +----------------------+
     2.330   2.374   2.361

This server also serves as the main MySQL server for filtering. It has
been able to handle over 120 queries per second.

> And are there any other ways to control outbound spam transparently?

The same server mentioned above runs a separate instance of Postfix for
outbound sending using policyd to throttle customer sending for
approximately 600 domains. I could toss SpamAssassin and ClamAV into the
outbound loop, but don't need to at this time.

RE: smtp proxy

Nasser Heidari-2
I want to inspect emails for spam!
Let me know what proxy software you use?
By the way, my second problem is I'm afraid if I redirect all my SMTP traffic
to one server (proxy), may be its IP address get into blacklist!!!

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 09:23:22AM +0330, Nasser Heidari wrote:

> I want to inspect emails for spam!

This is too vague, everyone wants to inspect email for spam. What
inspection methods/engines do you want to use? Is the proxy required
to be an after-queue content filter or a pre-queue proxy filter?

I use a commercial filter integrated into the Proxy via a dynamically
loaded module that encapsulates the commercial filter API. The proxy
will be open, the (plugin) spam filter module I use will only be useful
to those who buy the vendor product.

> Let me know what proxy software you use?

It is not yet publically released. Want to help with documentation? If
someone can polish the docs, I can accelerate the release. The proxy
in question is postqueue-only. The I/O code expects Postfix to prevent
absurdly long logical headers or physical body lines.

> By the way, my second problem is I'm afraid if I redirect all my SMTP traffic
> to one server (proxy), may be its IP address get into blacklist!!!

This betrays significant confusion on your part... You may be better off
with pre-integrated commercial software/appliances. The open-source tools
give you more control, but may require more skill to integrate.