smtp to pop3

Patrick G. Victoriano

Hello.

Please help me how to configure my two postfix servers.

I have 2 servers. PostfixA and PostfixB

I configure PostfixA as a Pop3 and PostfixB as SMTP.

The question is how can I tell PostfixB to send the message to PostfixA.

Where and what configuration should I specify.

Please help.

TIA

-Trik

Re: smtp to pop3

Mihira Fernando
On Wednesday 04 June 2008 13:21:45 Patrick G. Victoriano wrote:

> Hello.
>

> Please help me how to configure my two postfix servers.
>

> I have 2 servers. PostfixA and PostfixB
>
> I configure PostfixA as a Pop3 and PostfixB as SMTP.
>

> The question is how can I tell PostfixB to send the message to PostfixA.
>
> Where and what configuration should I specify.

Postfix is not a POP3 server. You may want to look at Dovecot or courier for
POP3/IMAP services.

Mihira.

Re: smtp to pop3

Patrick G. Victoriano wrote:

> Hello.
>

> Please help me how to configure my two postfix servers.
>

> I have 2 servers. PostfixA and PostfixB
>
> I configure PostfixA as a Pop3 and PostfixB as SMTP.
>

> The question is how can I tell PostfixB to send the message to PostfixA.
>
> Where and what configuration should I specify.

you're not providing enough information, so we can only speculate.

you can try transport_maps (on postfixA)
example.com   relay:[ip.of.postfixB]

This will tell postfixA to pass mail destined to *@example.com to
postfixB. See
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

you should also read
    http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

RE: smtp to pop3

Patrick G. Victoriano
My setup is this.

I have 2 postfix servers. PostfixA and PostfixB.
PostfixB was configured as the backup of PostfixA.

I am playing around the two servers.
I want to use PostfixA as the POP3 on my email setup and PostfixB as the SMTP.
If I put the IP of PostfixA as my POP3 and PostfixB as my SMTP and try to send mail to myself, the email was not forwarded to
PostfixA instead it forwards the message to the mailbox of PostfixB.

To make it clear, if I want to send email I want the SMTP (PostfixB) to forward the email to the user's mailbox at POP3 (PostfixA)
not to the mailboxes of PostfixB

Is it now clear? Sorry coz Im having a hard time using english. =P

-Trik

> Please help me how to configure my two postfix servers.
>

> I have 2 servers. PostfixA and PostfixB
>
> I configure PostfixA as a Pop3 and PostfixB as SMTP.
>

> The question is how can I tell PostfixB to send the message to PostfixA.
>
> Where and what configuration should I specify.

you're not providing enough information, so we can only speculate.

you can try transport_maps (on postfixA)
example.com   relay:[ip.of.postfixB]

This will tell postfixA to pass mail destined to *@example.com to
postfixB. See
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

you should also read
    http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
    http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

Re: smtp to pop3

mouss-2
Patrick G. Victoriano wrote:

> My setup is this.
>
> I have 2 postfix servers. PostfixA and PostfixB.
> PostfixB was configured as the backup of PostfixA.
>
> I am playing around the two servers.
> I want to use PostfixA as the POP3 on my email setup and PostfixB as the SMTP.
> If I put the IP of PostfixA as my POP3 and PostfixB as my SMTP and try to send mail to myself, the email was not forwarded to
> PostfixA instead it forwards the message to the mailbox of PostfixB.
>
> To make it clear, if I want to send email I want the SMTP (PostfixB) to forward the email to the user's mailbox at POP3 (PostfixA)
> not to the mailboxes of PostfixB

in my previous post, replace

you can try transport_maps (on postfixA)
example.com   relay:[ip.of.postfixB]

by

you can try transport_maps (on postfixB)
example.com   relay:[ip.of.postfixA]

> Is it now clear? Sorry coz Im having a hard time using english. =P

The real question is which mail will be forwarded. if all mail received
on postfixB should go to postfixA, then just use the relayhost
parameter. if only mail for few domains should go to postfixA, then use
transport_maps. ... etc.

RE: smtp to pop3

Patrick G. Victoriano
Thanks mouss.

What if I want to forward all mails to PostfixA.
What and where should I put the config?

-Trik

Patrick G. Victoriano wrote:
> Thanks mouss.
>
> What if I want to forward all mails to PostfixA.
> What and where should I put the config?

you set

relayhost = [ip.of.postfixA]

in main.cf. you can then run
# postfix reload
or you can just wait.

Please read the documentation to get familiar with postfix. you cannot
seriously run a postfix server without understanding its basics.

Re: smtp to pop3

Jorey Bump
Patrick G. Victoriano wrote, at 06/04/2008 06:50 PM:

> What if I want to forward all mails to PostfixA.
> What and where should I put the config?

If you simply want your mailstore to be on a different machine than your
MX, you can use a POP3 server that supports delivery via LMTP (Cyrus
IMAPd, for example).

RE: smtp to pop3

Patrick G. Victoriano
Thanks again mouss.