smtpd_use_tls and smtp_use_tls ?

Frank Bonnet
hello

I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.

I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.

Do I have to use

smtp_use_tls = yes

and

smtpd_use_tls = no

to be able to configure this ?

thank you

Re: smtpd_use_tls and smtp_use_tls ?

Frank Bonnet
On 10/11/2012 10:40 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> hello
>
> I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
>
> I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
> and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
>
> Do I have to use
>
> smtp_use_tls = yes
>
> and
>
> smtpd_use_tls = no
>

> to be able to configure this ?
>
> thank you

I forgot to write I would like to
use the submission port to send

Re: smtpd_use_tls and smtp_use_tls ?

Reindl Harald-2

Am 11.10.2012 10:40, schrieb Frank Bonnet:

> hello
>
> I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
>
> I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
> and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
>
> Do I have to use
>
> smtp_use_tls = yes
>
> and
>
> smtpd_use_tls = no
smtp_* is always the smtp-client of your server
delivering messages to MX of the RCPT

smtpd_* is your smtpd

On 10/11/2012 10:53 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.10.2012 10:40, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
>> hello
>>
>> I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
>>
>> I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
>> and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
>>
>> Do I have to use
>>
>> smtp_use_tls = yes
>>
>> and
>>
>> smtpd_use_tls = no
> smtp_* is always the smtp-client of your server
> delivering messages to MX of the RCPT
>
> smtpd_* is your smtpd

you mean ?

smtp_use_tls = no

smtpd_use_tls = yes

Am 11.10.2012 11:22, schrieb Frank Bonnet:

> On 10/11/2012 10:53 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 11.10.2012 10:40, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
>>>
>>> I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
>>> and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
>>>
>>> Do I have to use
>>>
>>> smtp_use_tls = yes
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> smtpd_use_tls = no
>> smtp_* is always the smtp-client of your server
>> delivering messages to MX of the RCPT
>>
>> smtpd_* is your smtpd
>>

> you mean ?
>
> smtp_use_tls = no
>
> smtpd_use_tls = yes
your decision

in my opinion it is pretty useless to receive messages ecnrypted
via smtpd and deliver unencrypted to the final RCPT, so both

i only explained the difference between smtpd_* and smtp_*

On 10/11/2012 11:26 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.10.2012 11:22, schrieb Frank Bonnet:

>>> smtp_* is always the smtp-client of your server
>>> delivering messages to MX of the RCPT
>>>
>>> smtpd_* is your smtpd
>>>
>> you mean ?
>>
>> smtp_use_tls = no
>>
>> smtpd_use_tls = yes
> your decision
>
> in my opinion it is pretty useless to receive messages ecnrypted
> via smtpd and deliver unencrypted to the final RCPT, so both
>
> i only explained the difference between smtpd_* and smtp_*

OK thank you

Re: smtpd_use_tls and smtp_use_tls ?

/dev/rob0
On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 10:53:09AM +0200, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.10.2012 10:40, schrieb Frank Bonnet:
> > I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
> >
> > I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
> > and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
> >
> > Do I have to use
> >
> > smtp_use_tls = yes
> >
> > and
> >
> > smtpd_use_tls = no
>
> smtp_* is always the smtp-client of your server
> delivering messages to MX of the RCPT
>
> smtpd_* is your smtpd

And both of those are deprecated. smtp_use_tls is replaced by
smtp_tls_security_level, and smtpd_tls_security_level replaced
smtpd_use_tls.

http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html

As for the real question, the OP has not adequately described the
problem and goal, so we can't help with that.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting

Re: smtpd_use_tls and smtp_use_tls ?

Frank Bonnet:

> On 10/11/2012 10:40 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> > hello
> >
> > I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
> >
> > I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
> > and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
> >
> > Do I have to use
> >
> > smtp_use_tls = yes
> >
> > and
> >
> > smtpd_use_tls = no
> >

> > to be able to configure this ?
> >
> > thank you
> >

> I forgot to write I would like to
> use the submission port to send

The _use_tls paremeters are obsolete.

To turn on SASL for sending mail:
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl_enable

To turn on TLS for sending mail:
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls

To turn on TLS for receiving mail:
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_tls

If there's information missing it can be fixed.

On 10/11/2012 04:01 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Frank Bonnet:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
>> On 10/11/2012 10:40 AM, Frank Bonnet wrote:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> I would like to set up a small auxiliary mail server.
>>>
>>> I would like it use STARTTLS + SASL AUTH to send
>>> and SMTP without STARTTLS to receive emails.
>>>
>>> Do I have to use
>>>
>>> smtp_use_tls = yes
>>>
>>> and
>>>
>>> smtpd_use_tls = no
>>>

>>> to be able to configure this ?
>>>
>>> thank you
>>>
>> I forgot to write I would like to
>> use the submission port to send
> The _use_tls paremeters are obsolete.
>
> To turn on SASL for sending mail:
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#client_sasl_enable
>
> To turn on TLS for sending mail:
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls
>
> To turn on TLS for receiving mail:
> http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_tls
>
> If there's information missing it can be fixed.
>
> Wietse
>

> Wietse

Thank you !