spamass-milter on ubuntu dapper, dependencies

spamass-milter on ubuntu dapper, dependencies

acesuares

Sorry if the is OT but I just wanted to share something here.

To use spamass-milter package on Ubuntu Dapper, you need to tweak the
package to not depend on sendmail (this is fixed in later versions).

What I did was:

apt-get source spamass-milter
cd spamass-milter-0.3.0
 # edit debian/control
 # change the Depends line to: Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, spamc
 # change the Recommends line
 # to: Recommends: spamassassin, sendmail|postfix
debchange -i --nmu # this command didn't work for me so i skipped it
sudo apt-get build-dep spamass-milter
dpkg-buildpackage

the result was a package called spamass-milter_0.3.0-2_i386.deb
which I installed with dpkg -i

Now the irritating dependency on sendmail was removed and I could do
normal upgrades again.

By the way, how did i install spamass-milter in the first place ? By
forcing not to listen to dependencies (dpkg -i --force depends).
But this is a better solution and quite simple to do.

Cheers
ace

See also: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/556

Re: spamass-milter on ubuntu dapper, dependencies

Scott Kitterman-4
On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:01:58 -0400 Ace Suares <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Sorry if the is OT but I just wanted to share something here.
>
>To use spamass-milter package on Ubuntu Dapper, you need to tweak the
>package to not depend on sendmail (this is fixed in later versions).
>
>What I did was:
>
>apt-get source spamass-milter
>cd spamass-milter-0.3.0
> # edit debian/control
> # change the Depends line to: Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, spamc
> # change the Recommends line
> # to: Recommends: spamassassin, sendmail|postfix
>debchange -i --nmu # this command didn't work for me so i skipped it
>sudo apt-get build-dep spamass-milter
>dpkg-buildpackage
>
>the result was a package called spamass-milter_0.3.0-2_i386.deb
>which I installed with dpkg -i
>
>Now the irritating dependency on sendmail was removed and I could do
>normal upgrades again.
>
>By the way, how did i install spamass-milter in the first place ? By
>forcing not to listen to dependencies (dpkg -i --force depends).
>But this is a better solution and quite simple to do.
>
>Cheers
>ace
>
>See also: http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/556
>http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=378460

This would be on topic for [hidden email].  The Postfix shipped with Dapper (in
June 2006) was Postfix 2.2, which does not support milters, so at the time that was quite a
reasonable dependency.

Scott K