strict_rfc821_envelopes possibly broken on postfix-3.3.1

strict_rfc821_envelopes possibly broken on postfix-3.3.1

Tuomo Soini
I was debugging issue with email system sending mail from in wrong
format:

MAIL From: [hidden email]

Adding <> to email address to (broken) software gui fixed smtp
sending, so this worked:

MAIL From: <[hidden email]>

But I found out that strict_rfc821_envelope check should not be enabled
by default and verified same with postconf that it is not enabled.
Still postfix is behaving as strict_rfc821_envelopes would be enabled.

Is this a bug in postfix?

--
Tuomo Soini <[hidden email]>
Foobar Linux services
+358 40 5240030
Foobar Oy <https://foobar.fi/>

Re: strict_rfc821_envelopes possibly broken on postfix-3.3.1

Wietse Venema
Tuomo Soini:
> I was debugging issue with email system sending mail from in wrong
> format:
>
> MAIL From: [hidden email]

Indeed, this is not RFC compliant.

> Adding <> to email address to (broken) software gui fixed smtp
> sending, so this worked:
>
> MAIL From: <[hidden email]>

That form is almost RFC compliant, but it is close-enough for Postfix.

> But I found out that strict_rfc821_envelope check should not be enabled
> by default and verified same with postconf that it is not enabled.
> Still postfix is behaving as strict_rfc821_envelopes would be enabled.
>
> Is this a bug in postfix?

Your observation is incorrect. I just did a test with

    mail from:wietse

Thank you for using Postfix.

Re: strict_rfc821_envelopes possibly broken on postfix-3.3.1

Tuomo Soini
On Wed, 5 Sep 2018 13:05:02 -0400 (EDT)
Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your observation is incorrect. I just did a test with
>
>     mail from:wietse

Thank you, I digged the issue deeper and found out pre-queue content
filter which postfix runs as proxy setup was too picky. Problem
resolved by patching the smtp filter software to be as non-strict as
postfix and now things work properly with these broken clients.

--
Tuomo Soini <[hidden email]>
Foobar Linux services