supressing warning message bounces / delay_warning_time

supressing warning message bounces / delay_warning_time

Zbigniew Szalbot-9
Hello,

I am in a scenario where I would like to avoid getting warning emails
about a given message being on queue but not yet being delivered.

I have looked at postconf5.html and wonder if delay_notice_recipient
and/or delay_warning_time is not what I need.

But being new to postfix I am not sure if this is what can do the trick.

postconf -d |grep delay_warning_time
delay_warning_time = 0h

Since bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d, will it be enough to set
delay_warning_time = 6d
to avoid getting such warning messages?

Many thanks for your help!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
www.lc-words.com

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment

Re: supressing warning message bounces / delay_warning_time

Magnus Bäck
On Monday, May 12, 2008 at 23:05 CEST,
     Zbigniew Szalbot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am in a scenario where I would like to avoid getting warning emails
> about a given message being on queue but not yet being delivered.

Postfix does not send delivery delay notification messages by default.

> I have looked at postconf5.html and wonder if delay_notice_recipient
> and/or delay_warning_time is not what I need.
>
> But being new to postfix I am not sure if this is what can do the trick.
>
> postconf -d |grep delay_warning_time
> delay_warning_time = 0h
>
> Since bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d, will it be enough to set
> delay_warning_time = 6d
> to avoid getting such warning messages?

Quoting postconf(5),

   "To enable this feature, specify a non-zero time value ..."

so apparently you can set it to zero to disable it. As you can see from
your "postconf -d" output the feature is disabled by default, so you can
just remove your delay_warning_time line from main.cf to accomplish what
you want.

I'm assuming that you're actually talking about the delay warning
feature and not bounces in general.

Magnus Bäck

Magnus Bäck pisze:

> Postfix does not send delivery delay notification messages by default.

Shame on me! I should have checked that prior to writing! I set
something similar in exim once upon the time and I was sure I need to
set it in postfix, too.

> I'm assuming that you're actually talking about the delay warning
> feature and not bounces in general.

Yes, was thinking about delay warning. Thanks and sorry for additional list traffic!