syslog_facility change slows delivery by 400%

syslog_facility change slows delivery by 400%

Cory Wagner
Whether I send syslogs local to a local file or a remote server, mail delivery slows by 400% when I set syslog_facility to something other than the default facility (mail).

My Linux system is version 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen and the Postfix version is 2.3.3.

Is there a known bug or workaround for this problem?

---
Cory Wagner
Manager, IT
651-717-4322

Internet Production, Inc.
1080 West County Road E
Shoreview MN 55126
P: 651-717-4300
F: 651-717-4301
www.iproduction.com

Re: syslog_facility change slows delivery by 400%

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Cory Wagner <[hidden email]>:

> Whether I send syslogs local to a local file or a remote server, mail
> delivery slows by 400% when I set syslog_facility to something other
> than the default facility (mail).

Show your syslogd config and which facility you're using.

> My Linux system is version 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen and the Postfix version is 2.3.3.
>
> Is there a known bug or workaround for this problem?

I've been logging to a different faility for YEARS and don't see this.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
zu bedienen ist als beispielsweise der ed(1). Vergleich doch einfach mal
"man ed" mit der Gebrauchsanleitung fuer ein modernes Telefon.

Re: syslog_facility change slows delivery by 400%

Steve Crawford
Cory Wagner wrote:
> Whether I send syslogs local to a local file or a remote server, mail delivery slows by 400% when I set syslog_facility to something other than the default facility (mail).
>
> My Linux system is version 2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen and the Postfix version is 2.3.3.
>
> Is there a known bug or workaround for this problem?

Did you perhaps move from a facility with synchronous-writes disabled to
a facility with synchronous-writes enabled? See:
http://www.postfix.org/LINUX_README.html

Cheers,
Steve

Re: syslog_facility change slows delivery by 400%

Cory Wagner:
> Whether I send syslogs local to a local file or a remote server,
> mail delivery slows by 400% when I set syslog_facility to something
> other than the default facility (mail).

Linux mail logging is done without fsync, other logging is done with fsync.
Look at the '-' before the logfile file name.

        Wietse