timed out while receiving the initial server greeting when sending to CPanel exim addresses

timed out while receiving the initial server greeting when sending to CPanel exim addresses

Dale Harper
Hi All,

Cpanel environments have a artifical (“tar pitting”) delay in their  smtp transaction when receiving email.

Cpanel’s exim config has a “delay = 20secs”. (CPanel documentation: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/78Docs/Exim+Configuration+Manager+-+Basic+Editor#ACLOptions Under - "Introduce a delay into the SMTP transaction for unknown hosts and messages detected as spam.”)

I’m thinking that’s what is causing the following logged error sending from our postfix server to Cpanel email addresses.

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; conversation with xyz.com[x.x.x.x]
   timed out while receiving the initial server greeting

Sits in deferred and eventually fails.

This is now 2 different Cpanel hosting companies I’m seeing the same issue.

The receiving exim server's artificial delay is 20sec, I know postfix’s various timeout defaults are well in excess of that (i.e. smtp_connect_timeout is default at 30secs).

I’m taking responsibility and saying its my postfix server - as clearly most servers are handling the smtp transaction delay just fine - thought not all! - there is plenty of interwebs chatter out there about this exim delay = 20 causing timeouts.

If you’ve seen and dealt with this I’d really appreciate your advice thank you.

Dale

Re: timed out while receiving the initial server greeting when sending to CPanel exim addresses

Noel Jones-2
On 3/28/2019 5:09 PM, Dale Harper wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Cpanel environments have a artifical (“tar pitting”) delay in their  smtp transaction when receiving email.
>
> Cpanel’s exim config has a “delay = 20secs”. (CPanel documentation: https://documentation.cpanel.net/display/78Docs/Exim+Configuration+Manager+-+Basic+Editor#ACLOptions Under - "Introduce a delay into the SMTP transaction for unknown hosts and messages detected as spam.”)
>
> I’m thinking that’s what is causing the following logged error sending from our postfix server to Cpanel email addresses.
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
> Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; conversation with xyz.com[x.x.x.x]
>     timed out while receiving the initial server greeting
>
> Sits in deferred and eventually fails.
>
> This is now 2 different Cpanel hosting companies I’m seeing the same issue.
>
> The receiving exim server's artificial delay is 20sec, I know postfix’s various timeout defaults are well in excess of that (i.e. smtp_connect_timeout is default at 30secs).
>
> I’m taking responsibility and saying its my postfix server - as clearly most servers are handling the smtp transaction delay just fine - thought not all! - there is plenty of interwebs chatter out there about this exim delay = 20 causing timeouts.
>
> If you’ve seen and dealt with this I’d really appreciate your advice thank you.
>
> Dale

Have you adjusted the other smtp_*_timeout settings from their
default values?

In particular, this sounds as if you've reduced the
smtp_helo_timeout to something much less than the default 300s.

If you need more help, please show "postconf -n" and log entries
demonstrating the problem.

Re: timed out while receiving the initial server greeting when sending to CPanel exim addresses

Dale Harper
Thanks Noel for gently pointing out the obvious - there was in fact a non default timeout setting lurking set to 15 secs - the Cpanel exim setting is 20 secs.

Removed to let postfix timeout settings sit at default. All good.

Appreciate it.