timeout while reading input attribute name

timeout while reading input attribute name

John Baker-5
I've been using policyd with postfix and every now and then postfix
develops this problem:

May 20 08:00:52 arnold postfix/smtpd[30434]: warning: timeout on
127.0.0.1:10031 while reading input attribute name

May 20 08:00:52 arnold postfix/smtpd[29574]: warning: problem talking to
server 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection timed out

I have a script to check and make sure the policyd process is running
and restart it if not. It also gets checked by nagios. But it seems the
process does not actually stop when this happens. A second mail server
also contacts the database on this machine and never times out at all.

When this happens connections subject to the policy service fail with a
"server configuration error" message.

Now, I also thought that this:

smtpd_policy_service_timeout = 15s

would make is so that if there was a problem with the policy service
postfix would keep on chugging the mail through.

So the main question here is if the postfix believes the policy service
is failing how do I make sure that postfix decides to ignore it and
keeps passing mail?

And does anybody have any ideas why this might be happening? We googled
the error and found some stuff on policyd-weight that said it had
something to do with the number of sockets allowed but that fix didn't
work. I'll check the policyd list as well but the error originates from
postfix.

John
--
John Baker
Network Systems Administrator
Marlboro College
Phone: 451-7551 off campus; 551 on campus

Re: timeout while reading input attribute name

Aaron Wolfe

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 4:31 PM, John Baker <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

short answer is that you can't do that with policy filters, however you can with milters.

John Baker wrote:

> I've been using policyd with postfix and every now and then postfix
> develops this problem:
>
> May 20 08:00:52 arnold postfix/smtpd[30434]: warning: timeout on
> 127.0.0.1:10031 while reading input attribute name
>
> May 20 08:00:52 arnold postfix/smtpd[29574]: warning: problem talking to
> server 127.0.0.1:10031: Connection timed out
>
> I have a script to check and make sure the policyd process is running
> and restart it if not. It also gets checked by nagios. But it seems the
> process does not actually stop when this happens. A second mail server
> also contacts the database on this machine and never times out at all.
>
> When this happens connections subject to the policy service fail with a
> "server configuration error" message.
>
> Now, I also thought that this:
>
> smtpd_policy_service_timeout = 15s

No, that setting defines the time after which postfix gives up
and says "server configuration error".  Leave it at the 100s
default, or maybe even increase it a little if policyd is
running slow at times.

> would make is so that if there was a problem with the policy service
> postfix would keep on chugging the mail through.
>
> So the main question here is if the postfix believes the policy service
> is failing how do I make sure that postfix decides to ignore it and
> keeps passing mail?

There is no setting for that.  Postfix always treats a failed
policy server as a fatal error and defers all mail.

Noel Jones

Re: timeout while reading input attribute name

John Baker:
> Now, I also thought that this:
>
> smtpd_policy_service_timeout = 15s
>
> would make is so that if there was a problem with the policy service
> postfix would keep on chugging the mail through.

Where does the documentation say that Postfix will IGNORE
errors in tis manner?