unclear alias behaviour

David Andel-4
Hi all

In /etc/aliases I have set up an alias for "root" pointing to "david"
which is a unix account.
Other email accounts are virtual using dovecot, one of them is "andel".
They all work fine using /etc/postfix/virtual when used with the domain
name which is defined in /etc/postfix/virtual.domains.

But the alias "david andel" in /etc/postfix/virtual does work only when
sending to "[hidden email]" but not for the local mails sent to "root".

And then there is another behaviour I don't understand. In my virtual
mail folder /srv/vmail/domain.com dovecot made a new directory structure
"david" which I didn't intend, for postfix should rewrite it to "andel".

Where is the error?

Thanks for any hints,
David

Re: unclear alias behaviour

mouss-2
David Andel wrote:
> Hi all
>
> In /etc/aliases I have set up an alias for "root" pointing to "david"
> which is a unix account.
> Other email accounts are virtual using dovecot, one of them is "andel".
> They all work fine using /etc/postfix/virtual when used with the domain
> name which is defined in /etc/postfix/virtual.domains.

Virtual aliases should be fqdn (should contain the domain part). if you
don't include a domain part, postfix will qualify the address by
appending @$myorigin. so put the domain explictely to avoid surprises.

> But the alias "david andel" in /etc/postfix/virtual does work only when
> sending to "[hidden email]" but not for the local mails sent to "root".

/etc/aliases only work for "local" domains (domains in mydestination).
for virtual domains, you need to add a virtual alias.

> And then there is another behaviour I don't understand. In my virtual
> mail folder /srv/vmail/domain.com dovecot made a new directory structure
> "david" which I didn't intend, for postfix should rewrite it to "andel".
>
> Where is the error?

please show
- relevant log lines.
- output of 'postconf -n'