undisclosed-recipients

Karel
Hello,

is it legitimate to use "To: undisclosed-recipients", or is to only
(mainly) used by spammers ?

Seems to me, if I get an email, I should also know who else was the
email sent to.
Its like having a conference call and you don't know who's participating.

If I wanted to block emails without any recipient, what would be the
best way to do it ?

thanks,
Karel

Re: undisclosed-recipients

wa6vvv
> On 20 April 2018, at 01:30, Karel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> is it legitimate to use "To: undisclosed-recipients", or is to only
> (mainly) used by spammers ?
>
> Seems to me, if I get an email, I should also know who else was the
> email sent to.
> Its like having a conference call and you don't know who's participating.
>
> If I wanted to block emails without any recipient, what would be the
> best way to do it ?

One good use of that is to prevent spam.  If you are sending an email to a number of people (announcements etc.) then the normal response is for people to reply-all.  That spams a lot of people who don't want to see those, or don't want their email address published.  By using BCCs, you avoid both issues.

-- Doug

Re: undisclosed-recipients

On 4/20/2018 3:30 AM, Karel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it legitimate to use "To: undisclosed-recipients", or is to only
> (mainly) used by spammers ?

It is legit. I don't see many spammers using this anymore, probably
because of the incorrect perception that it indicates spam.

It is no different from a "To: (not you)" header, such as this email.

> Seems to me, if I get an email, I should also know who else was the
> email sent to.
> Its like having a conference call and you don't know who's participating.

No, it's like watching a television show and having everyone else
know you're watching and where you live; it protects YOUR privacy
and your email address.

True story: I once attended a conference that the organizer sent
notice emails with the 1000 or so attendees all listed in To: and
CC: lines.  I probably got 200 mails from people hitting reply-all
and then replying to the reply -- does the hotel have a pool, how's
your mother doing after her surgery, etc. ad nauseam.

> If I wanted to block emails without any recipient, what would be the
> best way to do it ?

Use header_checks.  But I don't recommend it.

> thanks,
> Karel

  -- Noel Jones