unverified_recipient_tempfail_action

Daniel Ryšlink
Hello

What are the valid values for this configuration option?

I tried to set it as "PERMIT", and the server failed to stard saying
it's "Bad configuration". My aim is to set the server so that it defers
mail for recipients that fail permanently during the recipient address
verification (for example, the target mailserver answers that the user
does not exist. I don't want to accept mail for a non-existent user). On
the other hand, I want to accept mail for recipients that fail
temporarily (for example, greylisting or full mailbox), because some of
me users use this servers as smarthost and I want the server to try
several times on their behalf instead of rejecting the mail immediately.

Thank you in advance.

--
S pozdravem,
Daniel Ryšlink

Re: unverified_recipient_tempfail_action

Wietse Venema
Daniel Ry?link:
> Hello
>
> What are the valid values for this configuration option?
>
> I tried to set it as "PERMIT", and the server failed to stard saying
> it's "Bad configuration".

RTFM?
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#unverified_recipient_reject_code
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient

> My aim is to set the server so that it defers mail for recipients
> that fail permanently during the recipient address verification
> (for example, the target mailserver answers that the user does not
> exist. I don't want to accept mail for a non-existent user). On
> the other hand, I want to accept mail for recipients that fail
> temporarily (for example, greylisting or full mailbox), because
> some of me users use this servers as smarthost and I want the
> server to try several times on their behalf instead of rejecting
> the mail immediately.

Use reject_unverified_recipient only for addresses in domains that
you control, not everything out there on the internets.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
    ...stuff...
    reject_unauth_destination
    ..stuff...
    reject_unverified_recipeint
    ..stuff...

Re: unverified_recipient_tempfail_action

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> Daniel Ry?link:
> > Hello
> >
> > What are the valid values for this configuration option?
> >
> > I tried to set it as "PERMIT", and the server failed to stard saying
> > it's "Bad configuration".
>
> RTFM?
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#unverified_recipient_reject_code
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#reject_unverified_recipient

Ah, this was ..tempfail_action. Documentation sats:

unverified_recipient_tempfail_action (default: $reject_tempfail_action)
       The Postfix SMTP server's action when reject_unverified_recipient fails
       due to a temporary error condition. Specify "defer" to defer the remote
       SMTP  client  request  immediately.  With the default "defer_if_permit"
       action, the Postfix SMTP server continues to look for opportunities  to
       reject  mail,  and defers the client request only if it would otherwise
       be accepted.

And those two, defer and defer_if_permit, are the permitted actions.