using libmilter for header injection

Tom Browder
I need to add some headers in mail to satisfy gmail and it looks like using libmilter may be the way to go unless someone suggests otherwise.

I don't see any specific mailing lists for libmilter assistance. Is it fair to ask here or go elsewhere? If elsewhere, where, then?

Thanks.

Re: using libmilter for header injection

Benny Pedersen-2
Tom Browder skrev den 2017-08-31 17:29:

> I don't see any specific mailing lists for libmilter assistance. Is it
> fair to ask here or go elsewhere? If elsewhere, where, then?

https://serverfault.com/questions/280568/prepend-x-header-to-all-relayed-messages-in-postfix

just an example

http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Adding-multiple-headers-td74474.html

still work in-progress

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 10:57 Benny Pedersen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom Browder skrev den 2017-08-31 17:29:

> I don't see any specific mailing lists for libmilter assistance. Is it
> fair to ask here or go elsewhere? If elsewhere, where, then?

https://serverfault.com/questions/280568/prepend-x-header-to-all-relayed-messages-in-postfix

just an example

http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Adding-multiple-headers-td74474.html

still work in-progress

I've seen the docs about the prepend method, but I wonder about how to find out if a desired header is already used--would that cause a problem? Also, I guess I only would need the headers for outgoing mail from the mailing lists, but I think that is covered in the docs.

Thanks, Benny.

-Tom

Re: using libmilter for header injection

Noel Jones-2
On 8/31/2017 11:45 AM, Tom Browder wrote:

> I've seen the docs about the prepend method, but I wonder about how
> to find out if a desired header is already used--would that cause a
> problem? Also, I guess I only would need the headers for outgoing
> mail from the mailing lists, but I think that is covered in the docs.

Surely your maillist software adds these headers.  If it doesn't,
get better maillist software.

There should be no need to add maillist headers in postfix.  You're
making this too hard.

To answer your question, PREPEND has no way to add a header if it
doesn't exist.  Technically, multiple X- or LIST- headers aren't a
problem, but no telling how some random site's spam engine will rank it.

But don't use postfix for adding maillist headers.  Use your
maillist software.

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM, Noel Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/31/2017 11:45 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>>
>> I've seen the docs about the prepend method, but I wonder about how
>> to find out if a desired header is already used--would that cause a
>> problem? Also, I guess I only would need the headers for outgoing
>> mail from the mailing lists, but I think that is covered in the docs.
>>

> Surely your maillist software adds these headers.  If it doesn't,
> get better maillist software.

Right now I'm just using a simple mailing list with postfix only,
hence the need.

Thanks, Noel.

-Tom

Re: using libmilter for header injection

Viktor Dukhovni
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:40:24PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:

> > Surely your maillist software adds these headers.  If it doesn't,
> > get better maillist software.
>
> Right now I'm just using a simple mailing list with postfix only,
> hence the need.

Simple forwarding is fine for a few relocated users for lists with
external recipients you really need a list manager.  It is best to
not try to kludge Postfix into a poor-man's approximation of a list
manager.

Re: using libmilter for header injection

Tom Browder
On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:54 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 12:40:24PM -0500, Tom Browder wrote:
>
>> > Surely your maillist software adds these headers.  If it doesn't,
>> > get better maillist software.
>>
>> Right now I'm just using a simple mailing list with postfix only,
>> hence the need.
>
> Simple forwarding is fine for a few relocated users for lists with
> external recipients you really need a list manager.  It is best to
> not try to kludge Postfix into a poor-man's approximation of a list
> manager.

Noted, but I'm also trying to learn more about the lower-level stuff.

Thanks, Victor.

-Tom