using postfix as a smart relay for many servers

using postfix as a smart relay for many servers

Jason Miller-2
Hi, I'm using Postfix to relay from my internal network, through postfix, to mandrill, on to the destination. The issue is that I have multiple internal servers, but once it gets to mandrill they all look like one because the instructions I found only allowed for one mandrill relay. I found instructions how to use a different relay depending on the domain in the to: field, but how do I have it select the smart relay based on the application server sending the email? The way mandrill works is it separates mail into queues based on the username and password provided. So the end result is effectively that all application servers have the same server and username, but different passwords. Is this possible?

Re: using postfix as a smart relay for many servers

Wietse Venema
Jason Miller:

> Hi, I'm using Postfix to relay from my internal network, through postfix,
> to mandrill, on to the destination. The issue is that I have multiple
> internal servers, but once it gets to mandrill they all look like one
> because the instructions I found only allowed for one mandrill relay. I
> found instructions how to use a different relay depending on the domain in
> the to: field, but how do I have it select the smart relay based on the
> application server sending the email? The way mandrill works is it
> separates mail into queues based on the username and password provided. So
> the end result is effectively that all application servers have the same
> server and username, but different passwords. Is this possible?

You want to forward mail destined for '[hidden email]' to different
smart hosts depending on the application server sending the mail
to Postfix?

Basically, index a table by SMTP client (name or IP address) and
use FILTER in a creative manner:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtpd_client_restrictions = hash:/etc/postfix/app-server-access

/etc/postfix/app-server-access:
    app-server-1 filter smtp:mandril1.example.com
    app-server-2 filter smtp:mandril2.example.com

(instead of hash: use whatever is appropriate for your systems).

This use of the FILTER command is fully supported.

        Wietse