valid ipv4 hostaddr?

Maurizio Caloro-2

Hello

Please why appair on log this message?

Jun 18 23:16:38 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[5022]: warning: valid_ipv4_hostaddr: invalid character 110(decimal): dnsName

Port 110 are close, are running only with smtps and imaps.

Thanks for any update

Regards

Mauri

Re: valid ipv4 hostaddr?

Fred Morris
I think what it's telling you is that an invalid character occurred in a
header, specifically inside of an IP4 address. code 110 (ASCII) is the
letter "n". Presumably it expects IP4 addresses in "dotted quad"
(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx), I don't know if it accepts any of the more esoteric
representations.

You need to provide the headers for the message if you need further help.

Fred Morris

Re: valid ipv4 hostaddr?

Maurizio Caloro:
> Hello
>
> Please why appair on log this message?
>
> Jun 18 23:16:38 mail postfix/trivial-rewrite[5022]: warning:
> valid_ipv4_hostaddr: invalid character 110(decimal): dnsName

ASCII code 110 is the letter 'n'. The function  valid_ipv4_hostaddr()
is called under two conditions: an IP address contains no ':'
(meaning it must be dotted-q1uad form), or an IPv6 address contains
'.' (which must be followed by a dotted quad).

From the surrounding logs, you may be able to distinguish
which form it was.

Either way, when I call valid_ipv4_hostaddr with 'dnsNane'
the warning I see is:

warning: valid_ipv4_hostaddr: invalid character 100(decimal): dnsName

I see no code path in valid_ipv4_hostaddr() that would allow 'd'
in 'dnsName' and then reject the 'n' after the 'd'. Maybe some
clever person improved the code.

Re: valid ipv4 hostaddr?

Jaroslaw Rafa
Dnia 18.06.2020 o godz. 19:43:23 Wietse Venema pisze:

> I see no code path in valid_ipv4_hostaddr() that would allow 'd'
> in 'dnsName' and then reject the 'n' after the 'd'. Maybe some
> clever person improved the code.

Maybe somehow (but why?) it accepts hexadecimal form? 'd' is a valid hex
digit, while 'n' is not.
   Jaroslaw Rafa

Re: valid ipv4 hostaddr?

Wietse Venema
Jaroslaw Rafa:
> Dnia 18.06.2020 o godz. 19:43:23 Wietse Venema pisze:
> >
> > I see no code path in valid_ipv4_hostaddr() that would allow 'd'
> > in 'dnsName' and then reject the 'n' after the 'd'. Maybe some
> > clever person improved the code.
>
> Maybe somehow (but why?) it accepts hexadecimal form? 'd' is a valid hex
> digit, while 'n' is not.

Then that is a modified implementation. My observations
are based on code as released.

        Wietse