virtual user (unknown user)

Pol Hallen-2
Hi folks! After read many howto I try to use virtual user.

I understand that user@domain2 goes to user@domain1. I need that
user@domain2 goes to user@domain2 mailbox:

virtual_alias_domains = nuvolabianca.org

virtual_mailbox_domains = nuvolabianca.org
virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vhosts/
virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual_minimum_uid = 100
virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

cat virtual:

[hidden email] fred

log:

fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237: to=<[hidden email]>,
relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

Now: fuckaround.org is primary domain and nuvolabianca.org is a real
domain with virtual host.

postfix transform [hidden email] to [hidden email] (fred is
not exist on my system).

I followed this howto:

http://dannorth.net/2007/09/09/virtual-mailboxes-with-courier-imap-and-postfix/

any idea?

thanks!

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:
> fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237: to=<[hidden email]>,
> relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
> status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).

But, you also use virtual_mailbox_domains etc. Why do you use
local(8) for mailbox delivery?

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Pol Hallen-2
> You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
> account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
> file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).

HI and thanks for your reply :-)

I've this line:

mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION" DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

How add "fred" to /etc/aliases?

ie:

postmaster: root (but root of primary domain)

fred --> is virtual user (second.domain)

and if I've 3 domains with 3 same username: [hidden email],
[hidden email], [hidden email],

how resolve?

> But, you also use virtual_mailbox_domains etc. Why do you use
> local(8) for mailbox delivery?

where I check what I use for mailbox delivery?

thanks!

Pol

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Wietse Venema
Pol Hallen:

> > You use local(8). As documented "fred" MUST exist as a UNIX system
> > account name, or as an alias in the LOCAL (NOT virtual) aliases(5)
> > file (typically named /etc/aliases or similar).
>
> HI and thanks for your reply :-)
>
> I've this line:
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/bin/procmail -a "$EXTENSION" DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
> MAILDIR=$HOME/Maildir

Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Pol Hallen-2
> Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?

Sorry :-) Tell me how does not give to "fred".

Also commenting the line with mailbox_command, I don't understand how
delivery mail to virtual host users.

thanks

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Wietse Venema
Pol Hallen:
> > Why are you giving mail for "fred" to the local(8) delivery agent?
>
> Sorry :-) Tell me how does not give to "fred".

You try to deliver mail for fred@domain-that-resolves-to-local(8)

Why?

- Is this the wrong domain name? What shuold it be instead?

- Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?

- None of the above?

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Pol Hallen-2
> - Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?

myhostname = server1.fuckaround.org
mydomain = fuckaround.org

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Ansgar Wiechers
On 2013-05-16 [hidden email] wrote:

> I understand that user@domain2 goes to user@domain1. I need that
> user@domain2 goes to user@domain2 mailbox:
>
> virtual_alias_domains = nuvolabianca.org
> virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
>
> virtual_mailbox_domains = nuvolabianca.org
> virtual_mailbox_base = /home/vhosts/
> virtual_mailbox_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
> virtual_minimum_uid = 100
> virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
> virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
>
> cat virtual:
>
> [hidden email] fred

$virtual_alias_maps can (among other things) be used for mapping virtual
(alias and mailbox) addresses to local addresses, which is what you're
doing in the line above. Basically

  [hidden email] fred

is the same as

  [hidden email] [hidden email]

Remove that line from /etc/postfix/virtual (don't forget to re-hash it
afterwards) and make sure you have a proper entry for the address in
/etc/postfix/vmailbox.

All of this is explained rather well in the documentation[1].

[1] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Pol Hallen:
> > - Is this the right domain name but the wrong delivery agent?
>
> myhostname = server1.fuckaround.org
> mydomain = fuckaround.org

If this is the right domain but wrong delivery agent, see
http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html which describes
how Postfix selects the "known user" info and the delivery agent.

This converstation is progressing too slowly.  Someone with more
patience may like to step in. I have to attend other things now.

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Ansgar Wiechers
Please keep this conversation on-list. I don't do personal support for
free.

On 2013-05-16 Pol Hallen wrote:

>> Remove that line from /etc/postfix/virtual (don't forget to re-hash
>> it afterwards) and make sure you have a proper entry for the address
>> in /etc/postfix/vmailbox.
>>
>> All of this is explained rather well in the documentation[1].
>>
>> [1] http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html
>
> all day to study how resolve this problem but nothing... I read and
> re-read the link but nothing :-/
>
> What I should be?

I already told you what to do, aside from reading the documentation.
Have you removed the line from /etc/postfix/virtual? What is the output
of the following commands:

  postmap -q [hidden email] hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
  postmap -q [hidden email] hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

Re: virtual user (unknown user)

Benny Pedersen-2
[hidden email] skrev den 2013-05-16 14:10:

> fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237:
> to=<[hidden email]>,
> relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
> status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")

useradd fred

fred is not yet an unix user :=)

On 2013-05-17 Benny Pedersen wrote:
> [hidden email] skrev den 2013-05-16 14:10:
>> fuckaround postfix/local[5595]: ADDFD758237:
>> to=<[hidden email]>,
>> relay=local, delay=0.06, delays=0.03/0.01/0/0.02, dsn=5.1.1,
>> status=bounced (unknown user: "fred")
>
> useradd fred
>
> fred is not yet an unix user :=)

Quoting from the original mail:

> After read many howto I try to use virtual user.

He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

Ansgar Wiechers skrev den 2013-05-18 17:27:

> He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.

in that case he should not list fuckaround dot org in mydestination,
but in virtual_mailbox_domains

On 2013-05-18 Benny Pedersen wrote:
> Ansgar Wiechers skrev den 2013-05-18 17:27:
>> He seems to want fred to be a virtual (mailbox) user.
>
> in that case he should not list fuckaround dot org in mydestination,
> but in virtual_mailbox_domains

No, he shouldn't. Please carefully re-read his mail. He has a virtual
mailbox domain nuvolabianca.org and sends mail to [hidden email].
His problem is that this address is translated to a (non-existing) local
mailbox due to a spurious mapping in /etc/postfix/virtual.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky