warning: hostname does not resolve to address

warning: hostname does not resolve to address

Christian Göttsche
Hi,
I am getting several warning a day of the form

    postfix/smtpd[6969]: warning: hostname domain does not resolve to address ip
    postfix/smtpd[10614]: warning: hostname domain does not resolve to
address ip: Name or service not known

My question is, why are these logged with syslog priority warning/4?

Deriving from http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Warning-host-name-does-not-resolve-tp84988p84989.html
they are mostly for explaining the hostname string unknown in the
logs.
So from my view they have no importance by themselves.

I mainly ask because it clutters loganalysis, e.g. journalctl -p4.

Regards,
    Christian Göttsche

Re: warning: hostname does not resolve to address

@lbutlr

> On Oct 2, 2019, at 6:34 PM, Christian Göttsche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am getting several warning a day of the form
>
>    postfix/smtpd[6969]: warning: hostname domain does not resolve to address ip
>    postfix/smtpd[10614]: warning: hostname domain does not resolve to
> address ip: Name or service not known
>
> My question is, why are these logged with syslog priority warning/4?

Ewhn I asked almost this exact question in August, I got the following from Wietse:

@lbutlr:
> Are logs like the following really worthy of a warning log level?

Yes, because they can result in an irreversible action: if Postfix
replies with 5XX then the client will not retry the delivery attempt.

--
NOTHING IS FINAL. NOTHING IS ABSOLUTE. EXCEPT ME, OF COURSE. SUCH
TINKERING WITH DESTINY COULD MEAN THE DOWNFALL OF THE WORLD. THERE MUST