what are the steps

mohamd tellawi

hello guys

i have a domain.net wich is hosted and reserved by a domain service company. the smpt and pop3 in my outlook

are mail.mydomain.net.

now i want setup a mail server useing postfix that i can use it in my outlook as an smtp and pop3 server

instead of the remote mail.mydomain.net .

what is needed to get that done , and what are the packages that should me installed beside postfix ???

thank you all

Re: what are the steps

Olivier Nicole
> i have a domain.net wich is hosted and reserved by a domain service
> company. the smpt and pop3 in my outlook are mail.mydomain.net.
>
> now i want setup a mail server useing postfix that i can use it in
> my outlook as an smtp and pop3 server

Postfix is  an smtp server,  non a pop3  server, so you would  have to
install a pop server independently.

I assume that your machine is running Windows, I am not sure postfix
can run on windows.

If you have only one account on your machine, you don't really need
postfix.

Olivier

FW: what are the steps

mohamd tellawi

thanks for ur reply

i have a linux server that i want to install postfix on . and i have about 5 users that use the "mail.mydomain.net".

ok i will install qpopper as a pop3 server.

and i have red the start guide readme and done some changes to the main.cf :

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = home
mydomain = mb-pc.net
myorigin = $myhostname
inet_interfaces = all
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 10.0.0.0/24, 127.0.0.0/8
relay_domains = $mydestination
relayhost = mail.$mydomain
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $pro cess_id & sleep 5
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = no
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES

is the main.cf file is enough to get postfix running seccessfully as an smtp or there i another file.

> Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:36:39 +0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: what are the steps
>
> > i have a domain.net wich is hosted and reserved by a domain service
> > company. the smpt and pop3 in my outlook are mail.mydomain.net.
> >
> > now i want setup a mail server useing postfix that i can use it in
> > my outlook as an smtp and pop3 server
>
> Postfix is an smtp server, non a pop3 server, so you would have to
> install a pop server independently.
>
> I assume that your machine is running Windows, I am not sure postfix
> can run on windows.
>
> If you have only one account on your machine, you don't really need
> postfix.
>
> Olivier

Re: what are the steps

Dan Farrell
On Tue, 20 May 2008 11:48:29 +0300
mohamd tellawi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is the main.cf file is enough to get postfix running seccessfully as
> an smtp or there i another file.

you need to make sure the mail ends up in a form that qpopper will be
able to use, (mbox I think).

as for your configuration, it's quite wrong.  you need to take a look
at one of the many fine howtos online.

>myhostname = home
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myhostname

'home' is not an internet hostname.  put your fqdn in here, maybe
mail.mb-pc.net ?

>mydomain = mb-pc.net
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#mydomain
this looks ok.

>myorigin = $myhostname
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#myorigin
so, you want your mail to come from @home ? you need to do a little
more than guess your way through this.  these links should be quite
helpful in that respect.