why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

Peter Volkov
Hi!

always_add_missing_headers = yes
was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
According to documentation
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is
none (see below). Could you help me to understand why this happens?

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 03:53:59 +0400
From: [hidden email]
Subject: Redmine test

Thanks in advance for any help,
Peter.

Re: why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 16.12.2014 um 01:14 schrieb Peter Volkov:
> always_add_missing_headers = yes
> was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
> According to documentation
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
> I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is
> none (see below). Could you help me to understand why this happens?

does the client match "local_header_rewrite_clients"
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#local_header_rewrite_clients

always_add_missing_headers (default: no)

Always add (Resent-) From:, To:, Date: or Message-ID: headers when not
present. Postfix 2.6 and later add these headers only when clients match
the local_header_rewrite_clients parameter setting. Earlier Postfix
versions always add these headers; this may break DKIM signatures that
cover non-existent headers.

Re: why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

Peter Volkov:
> Hi!
>
> always_add_missing_headers = yes
> was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
> According to documentation
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
> I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is

There is no RFC that requires a To: header.

Am 16.12.2014 um 01:52 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> Peter Volkov:
>> always_add_missing_headers = yes
>> was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
>> According to documentation
>> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
>> I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is
>
> There is no RFC that requires a To: header

but the postfix documentation pretends to add it :-)

always_add_missing_headers (default: no)
Always add (Resent-) From:, To:, Date: or Message-ID: headers when not
present. Postfix 2.6 and later add these headers only when clients match
the local_header_rewrite_clients parameter setting. Earlier Postfix
versions always add these headers; this may break DKIM signatures that
cover non-existent headers.

Re: why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:

> Am 16.12.2014 um 01:52 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> > Peter Volkov:
> >> always_add_missing_headers = yes
> >> was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
> >> According to documentation
> >> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
> >> I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is
> >
> > There is no RFC that requires a To: header
>
> but the postfix documentation pretends to add it :-)

That text was written before RFC 2822. I can't help it that
the RFC authors are constantly improving the protocols.

        Wietse

> always_add_missing_headers (default: no)
> Always add (Resent-) From:, To:, Date: or Message-ID: headers when not
> present. Postfix 2.6 and later add these headers only when clients match
> the local_header_rewrite_clients parameter setting. Earlier Postfix
> versions always add these headers; this may break DKIM signatures that
> cover non-existent headers.

Re: why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

Wietse Venema
Wietse Venema:

> [hidden email]:
> > Am 16.12.2014 um 01:52 schrieb Wietse Venema:
> > > Peter Volkov:
> > >
> > > There is no RFC that requires a To: header
> >
> > but the postfix documentation pretends to add it :-)
>
> That text was written before RFC 2822. I can't help it that
> the RFC authors are constantly improving the protocols.

The undisclosed_recipients_header parameter setting
controls whether a To: header will be added.

В Вт, 16/12/2014 в 01:28 +0100, [hidden email] пишет:

> Am 16.12.2014 um 01:14 schrieb Peter Volkov:
> > always_add_missing_headers = yes
> > was added in main.cf, restarted server and postconf reports it is there.
> > According to documentation
> > http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_add_missing_headers
> > I'm expecting to have To: header set in every e-mail, but still there is
> > none (see below). Could you help me to understand why this happens?
>
> does the client match "local_header_rewrite_clients"
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#local_header_rewrite_clients
>
> always_add_missing_headers (default: no)
>
> Always add (Resent-) From:, To:, Date: or Message-ID: headers when not
> present. Postfix 2.6 and later add these headers only when clients match
> the local_header_rewrite_clients parameter setting. Earlier Postfix
> versions always add these headers; this may break DKIM signatures that
> cover non-existent headers.

I read this text as:
1. with this option always adds headers
2. postfix >2.6 add this headers even without always_add_missing_headers
option if clients match local_header_rewrite_clients parameter setting

Is my reading wrong? Should I really check local_header_rewrite_clients?

--
Peter.

Re: why always_add_missing_headers is not adding To: header?

Peter Volkov
Hi, Wietse!

В Пн, 15/12/2014 в 20:24 -0500, Wietse Venema пишет:

> Wietse Venema:
> > [hidden email]:

> > > but the postfix documentation pretends to add it :-)
> >
> > That text was written before RFC 2822. I can't help it that
> > the RFC authors are constantly improving the protocols.

Does this mean that documentation is lagging and postfix is not supposed
to add To: header?

> The undisclosed_recipients_header parameter setting
> controls whether a To: header will be added.

As I read documentation this sets some predefined header, while I'd like
postfix to add To: header from envelope. Is this possible at all?

(slightly off-topic: how can I see headers of mail for messages sent by
system? postfix sends so fast that I'm unable to read it in queue).

Thanks for you help so far,
--
Peter.