why postfix duplicate files

Poliman - Serwis
Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.

--
Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha

postfix directory files.txt (5K) Download Attachment

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Petri Riihikallio
> Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.

Many editors (Vim, Emacs, Nano?) create backup files with a tilde appended to the end of the filename. Postfix doesn’t generate them.

Someone has edited those files yesterday. If it wasn’t you, who was it? (S)he has root access. Could be a badly written cron script, too.

--
Cheers
Petri

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Mauricio Tavares
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 3:46 AM, Petri Riihikallio
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.
>
> Many editors (Vim, Emacs, Nano?) create backup files with a tilde appended to the end of the filename. Postfix doesn’t generate them.
>
> Someone has edited those files yesterday. If it wasn’t you, who was it? (S)he has root access. Could be a badly written cron script, too.

      I would agree it sounds like backup files because of the 3
versions of master.cf, the oldest of which (master.cf~2) is from
April. Petri, sounds like it is time for you to find out who and what
is doing what in your system. postfix has better things to do than
play musical chairs with your files. I would also suggest if this is a
production machine for your work to check out something like ansible
or puppet and a source code repository to store your configs.

> --
> Cheers
> Petri
> https://metis.fi/en/petri
> tel:+358400505939

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Poliman - Serwis:
> Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I
> attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few
> months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.

Postfix does not duplicate configuration files.

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Poliman - Serwis
Thank you for answers. Only I have root access with ssh key public/private files randomly generated, so I suppose there is little probability that somebody hacked the root. I use nano editor. Can I remove older files with '~' ?

Poliman - Serwis:
> Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I
> attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few
> months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.

Postfix does not duplicate configuration files.

Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Julio Cesar Covolato

Em 25/10/2017 12:01, Poliman - Serwis escreveu:
Thank you for answers. Only I have root access with ssh key public/private files randomly generated, so I suppose there is little probability that somebody hacked the root. I use nano editor. Can I remove older files with '~' ?

Poliman - Serwis:
> Hi, I have found in my /etc/postfix directory list of duplicated files. I
> attach .txt file with this list. I don't do anything with postfix from few
> months. If it's not normal please tell me how fix it.

Postfix does not duplicate configuration files.

Pozdrawiam / Best Regards
Piotr Bracha
From nano manual:
-B, --backup
When saving a file, back up the previous version of it to the current filename suffixed with a ~.
Julio Cesar Covolato

Re: why postfix duplicate files

Petri Riihikallio
>> I don't do anything with postfix from few months.
>
> Only I have root access with ssh key public/private files randomly generated, so I suppose there is little probability that somebody hacked the root.

I understand you haven’t touched Postfix for months. Still those files have modification dates on Tuesday morning.

> I use nano editor. Can I remove older files with '~' ?

Yes