why "allow_min_user = no"

Paul Martin
Hello Wietse,

Could you explain me why "allow_min_user = no" ? Could we change to "allow_min_user = yes" ?

Thank you,Paul

Re: why "allow_min_user = no"

Noel Jones-2
On 9/7/2018 7:46 AM, Paul Martin wrote:
> Hello Wietse,
>
> Could you explain me why "allow_min_user = no" ? Could we change to
> "allow_min_user = yes" ?
>
> Thank you,Paul

Conveniently, Wietse has already explained it here:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#allow_min_user

You can change your setting to yes if you're confident that you
don't have any software in your email setup (delivery agents, spam
filters, etc.) that might be affected by this hack.

Re: why "allow_min_user = no"

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 8:46 AM, Paul Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Could you explain me why "allow_min_user = no" ? Could we change to "allow_min_user = yes" ?

http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#allow_min_user

Re: why "allow_min_user = no"

> On Sep 7, 2018, at 12:19 PM, Noel Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Conveniently, Wietse has already explained it here:
> http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#allow_min_user
>
> You can change your setting to yes if you're confident that you
> don't have any software in your email setup (delivery agents, spam
> filters, etc.) that might be affected by this hack.

One might also note that users who do have an email address that
starts with a "-" may experience difficulties sending email to
others, having their email address "validated" by various sites
that ask for email addresses for future contact, ...

Unless there's an absolutely compelling case for such an email
address, the sane thing to do is to not provision these, they
just cause needless pain.