www.dsbl.org in limbo

Victor Duchovni

The host www.dsbl.org is having hardware issues, and the ISP that gave
it free hosting has seen enough internal changes that the staff who made
the arrangments are no longer there to help out.

So, as of early AM (US/Eastern) Monday, www.dsbl.org is down and the
RBL is not getting updated. While the DNS servers are, as far as I know,
still up and running, the data is getting somewhat stale.

It may be prudent to disable dsbl.org lookups until the situation is
resolved. If you are using SpamHaus Zen, the additional benefit of
DSBL is very low. You could choose to discontinue using DSBL entirely.

[ In my case, out of 756195 RBL hits in 11 hours, using a combined
  SpamHaus Zen/DSBL zone, 1637 were DSBL-only and 710786 were Zen-only. So
  DSBL matched just 6% of the combined volume and added only 0.2% of the
  hits because 96% of DSBL hits are also Zen hits ]

Re: www.dsbl.org in limbo

Robert Felber
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:56:26PM -0400, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> The host www.dsbl.org is having hardware issues, and the ISP that gave
> it free hosting has seen enough internal changes that the staff who made
> the arrangments are no longer there to help out.
>
> So, as of early AM (US/Eastern) Monday, www.dsbl.org is down and the
> RBL is not getting updated. While the DNS servers are, as far as I know,
> still up and running, the data is getting somewhat stale.
>
> It may be prudent to disable dsbl.org lookups until the situation is
> resolved. If you are using SpamHaus Zen, the additional benefit of
> DSBL is very low. You could choose to discontinue using DSBL entirely.
>
> [ In my case, out of 756195 RBL hits in 11 hours, using a combined
>   SpamHaus Zen/DSBL zone, 1637 were DSBL-only and 710786 were Zen-only. So
>   DSBL matched just 6% of the combined volume and added only 0.2% of the
>   hits because 96% of DSBL hits are also Zen hits ]

Personally I would like to see other reputative RBLs to survive, instead
of just trusting the one and only zen. This would be like one party
in a democratic system.

Really, we need other reputative RBLs in order that zen continues its
_good_ job.

    Robert Felber (PGP: 896CF30B)
    Munich, Germany

Re: www.dsbl.org in limbo

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 10:05:04AM +0200, Robert Felber wrote:

> > [ In my case, out of 756195 RBL hits in 11 hours, using a combined
> >   SpamHaus Zen/DSBL zone, 1637 were DSBL-only and 710786 were Zen-only. So
> >   DSBL matched just 6% of the combined volume and added only 0.2% of the
> >   hits because 96% of DSBL hits are also Zen hits ]
> >

> Personally I would like to see other reputative RBLs to survive, instead
> of just trusting the one and only zen. This would be like one party
> in a democratic system.
>
> Really, we need other reputative RBLs in order that zen continues its
> _good_ job.

It may yet survive, or fade away, the operators are contemplating
its future. If DSBL were as comprehensive as Zen, it would be an easy
case to keep it alive. Because it focuses on just open relays/proxies,
its coverage is much narrower. If we lose Zen, DSBL is not really an
effective "backup", it would only block a very small fraction of what
Zen blocks, so the case for keeping this high quality, but much smaller
list is not as strong.

The infrastructure cost of DSBL is quite high, so the key question is:
"is it still worth it"? The answer is not clear-cut, but the question
is legitimate, the "yes" case is not as strong as it used to be when
DSBL was launched.

Re: www.dsbl.org in limbo

Geert Hendrickx
On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 12:56:49PM -0400, Victor Duchovni wrote:
> So, as of early AM (US/Eastern) Monday, www.dsbl.org is down and the RBL
> is not getting updated. While the DNS servers are, as far as I know,
> still up and running, the data is getting somewhat stale.

They emptied the zone files now.  (I was just wondering what that drop in
memory usage on our rbldnsd servers was coming from yesterday :-))

        Geert